News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Canada Soccer

I found out some additional information about where FIFA is at and some timelines of things. It seems details are a bit more open among US cities in terms of the process currently going on. Our bid committee has not said as much.

According to the Atlanta bid committee:
FIFA isn’t requiring a detailed funding plan until the year after the host cities are selected.

In our case, FIFA obviously would want to know province is in before selecting Edmonton.

They expect FIFA to announce North American host cities for the 2026 men’s World Cup in “early to mid May”

They don't expect the planned May announcement of the sites to specify which cities would host which games. “They’re going to name the cities and then work on the schedule in 2023, so that’s when your level in the tournament is determined."

At this point, talks with FIFA and Atlanta have been mostly about technical aspects such as the field, which is also artifical turf.

“It’s been very technical-based: the type of blades of grass, the ventilation, the irrigation systems, things of that nature. They’re working now on coming back to us as to the timeline of when they would want (grass) installed at the stadium. … We are comfortable (it can be done).

Atlanta expects it will cost $46million US to host - and it is a public/private partnership. Interesting.

Also, I received this from Coun. Cartmell as I had posed a question about support from the region.

"Neighboring municipalities are supportive, and they have relayed their support to their local government MLAs. If successful, there would be a regional opportunity available for those surrounding municipalities. That support could be more public, but it certainly is there."

I agree - our neighbours could be more vocal and even the business community.

Here is link to Atlanta story.

Last edited:
Interesting about May. I feel like this timeline keeps getting pushed back further and further. That is good news to get the province in gear but continues to allow Vancouver to shore up their situation.

Some news about Toronto's bid/legacy project

Woodbine Entertainment is partnering with private investors to build a soccer training facility and soccer-specific stadium near Toronto.

Woodbine confirmed Wednesday it will designate a portion of its land for construction of the venues with the goal of creating a national training centre for Canadian soccer

Some news about Toronto's bid/legacy project

Woodbine Entertainment is partnering with private investors to build a soccer training facility and soccer-specific stadium near Toronto.

Woodbine confirmed Wednesday it will designate a portion of its land for construction of the venues with the goal of creating a national training centre for Canadian soccer

Edmonton should be doing just that ... too bad. Here is the official release with YouTube video. woodbine-entertainment-prepared-to-designate-land-at-684-acre-woodbine-racetrack-site-for-high-performance-soccer-training-facility-and-community-stadium

Happy World Cup qualification day!! Win and we're in :D

Voyageurs watch party is at 1stRnd downtown, it will be an epic time

1648148424451.png

1648148537005.png

City of Toronto releasing some numbers and they are huge.

Staff estimated that hosting five matches would generate $307 million in GDP and create 3,300 jobs.

The events would attract around 174,000 overnight visitors and book out 292,000 room nights. This would generate roughly $3.5 million in municipal accommodation tax revenue, staff said.

Costs are also big - $290 million (2/3 from prov/feds). Toronto has significant stadium upgrade costs as they need to increase their seating capacity by 50% (to bring it up to 45,000 and still smallest stadium of all host cities). But that will be a permanent change and legacy of the games along with the 7,000 seat training facility they are looking at in a public/private partnership.

From a previous article
The Toronto mayor also suggested that the city is prepared to make other improvements to “several city parks and facilities” that could be used as practice facilities by visiting teams during the tournament.

“I can just tell you that the amount involved here in terms of investment is not insignificant but these will be legacy assets that will be here for people to play soccer and do other things in the years following the World Cup,” Tory said.

Last edited:
Hopefully they didn't wait too long. Five games assumes that Vancouver is unsuccessful in their bid to get back in the conversation.

View attachment 388651

So happy!
When we started this process, it was always done within the framework of three Canadian cities and 10 games. But no doubt, the opportunity to host 5 games would be a cherry on the cake and a significant extra economic boost.

FIFA and its committee had to do detailed site visits everywhere, and I wonder how Vancouver would be getting around that.

Last edited:

Back