News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

I don't know if this was posted somewhere yet but I saw this yesterday on the south side of Argyll road at around 79st. There used to be a quite old run down and dated building which has now been torn down.
Nothing too special with what's being proposed, but still a whole lot better that what was there before.
20210403_122645.jpg

Major Development Permit
Reference Id:Job No 374547924-002
Description:To construct an Addition, to change the Use from General Retail Store to Automotive and Minor Recreation Vehicles Sales/Rentals and Health Services with accessory Professional, Financial and Office Support Services and to construct exterior and interior alterations (tenant improvement, parking reconfiguration and landscaping).
Plan 9220004 Blk 2 Lot 3
Applicant:HODGSON SCHILF EVANS ARCHITECTS
Create Date:2020/10/02
Neighbourgood:BELVEDERE
Issue Date:2020/11/18
Class Of Permit:Class B
Notification Start Date:2020/11/24
Notification End Date:2020/12/15

"...as well as increasing the height from 10 metres to 14.5 metres."

More details

Map

20210411_142413 (1).jpg

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on at the "Fort Road Plaza" business condos (5811 132nd Avenue)? Construction seems to have been complete for a few months now. A business called "H&F" has had posters on the windows of one of the bays since before work on the building had finished, but they have not moved in yet. Does anyone know if the developers hit a snag on the building? Or is it just sitting empty because of a bad market, and whatever issues H&F hit along the way? https://www.cancomrcorp.com/project/fort-road/
I just got off the phone with the realtor who's associated with this project. He told me that the building is in the middle of transitioning owners, and some work still needs to be done (underground work, landscaping, etc). The cannabis store, which is part of a new company and does not have AGLC licenses yet, is apparently due to start renovating their space next month. They, along with a liquor store, should open in around four months. A food store and a pizza and donair store have also leased spaces, and the realtor also has a letter of intent from a barber shop. All-in-all, it's not going to be anything groundbreaking or high-class for the area, but I'm thrilled that things are going ahead here. I was worried that it would remain stagnant for a while to come, and I'll take these businesses over an empty building that just deteriorates over time.

I have no clue where to put this on the forum, but I had to share.

An urban planning friend and I were chatting earlier and she made the point that soon, we might be enticed to rename Whyte Ave Beljan Ave. I thought we could consider renaming Strathcona to Beljan instead.

Thoughts?

Back