News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Miscellaneous

Absolutely true, @Avenuer, absolutely true. If I misled you into thinking that I was picking solely on Edmonton, I wasn't. The concern is valid for any and all cities with Planning departments that are allowed into the design realm.

Absolutely true, @Avenuer, absolutely true. If I misled you into thinking that I was picking solely on Edmonton, I wasn't. The concern is valid for any and all cities with Planning departments that are allowed into the design realm.

Thankfully I think most City Planning departments are improving on the urban design front, so as to not create places like this:

Boston-City-Hall-Plaza-8183277-GEGU-5483-850x478.jpg

Tesla's dealership might open soon? Its page is up on Tesla's website, but when I called its number an automated voice said "You have reached a non-working number at Tesla", and then it hung up. I'm guessing that means it's not open yet, even though its hours are on that page and nothing specifies that it hasn't opened yet. I guess Tesla isn't known for their attention to customer service...

Tesla's dealership might open soon? Its page is up on Tesla's website, but when I called its number an automated voice said "You have reached a non-working number at Tesla", and then it hung up. I'm guessing that means it's not open yet, even though its hours are on that page and nothing specifies that it hasn't opened yet. I guess Tesla isn't known for their attention to customer service...
People from Calgary's Tesla Dealership told me their expectations were for a late spring opening. They might be moving ahead of schedule, I can check with them through their pre-order channel, as I've been wanting to get one anyways, and see when they would have it here.

People from Calgary's Tesla Dealership told me their expectations were for a late spring opening. They might be moving ahead of schedule, I can check with them through their pre-order channel, as I've been wanting to get one anyways, and see when they would have it here.
Oh interesting, it'd be nice if they moved ahead quicker! I'd appreciate it if you checked in with them, thanks for offering to do that :)

Oh interesting, it'd be nice if they moved ahead quicker! I'd appreciate it if you checked in with them, thanks for offering to do that :)
No worries. I'd love them to open sooner, as well. As much as I enjoy the digital trend, there's nothing like going to a dealership, looking at the cars, test-driving, etc... I just left them a voicemail asking them to call me back, hopefully I'll have an answer for you soon.

^I'm really conflicted on this one...

For those who don't know, the building in question is the old Shop-Easy corner store in Calder. It was designated a Municipal Historic Resource back in November 2016.

Everyone on here will probably know me as the forum's history guy, so obviously I appreciate the effort at adaptive reuse. But there's something about this redevelopment that just doesn't resonate with me the right way. I have a real hard time pointing to anything in particular, but I find the new second story addition's at odds with the original building. It's ironic in saying that since the second floor's clearly influenced by the Art Moderne style of the first, but by putting it atop the original I think it has the unintended effect of overpowering the decorative flourish of the historic structure.

That's not to say some kind of addition couldn't work. My mind's drawn to something like the Jasper or Brighton Blocks downtown, where distinctive glass addition's clearly delineate old versus new. Now, obviously there's different considerations here given that the Shop-Easy will be residential while the Jasper or Brighton Blocks are office, but through mimicking the original style in the Shop-Easy's case it kind of makes it an amorphous blob of '40s design elements instead of making the original section stand out, if that makes any sense?

/end ramble

Back