News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

With construction costs rising substantially, does anyone see how this could impact developments this year? Would developers delay projects for example, or cancel outright? Edmonton isn’t known for having high ROIs even in normal times.

The City’s tax relief for central residential developments might help offset some of the costs but it’s probably a fraction of what must be some eye watering rises in lumber and steel prices. I’m thinking a lot of the proposals for this year are in jeopardy.
I know lumber is very expensive now but I haven't heard about the cost of cement. If that has also increased in price as much as lumber, then maybe some builders may opt to pause projects they were hoping to break ground on this year.

We’re trying to do a garage suite... lumber quote was 13000 in October... I’m very worried to see what my new quote will be. I should have just bought the wood and stashed it around the neighbourhood like a squirrel

A7935B92-83D9-4E83-86BD-87ABADE79EA1.jpeg

We’re trying to do a garage suite... lumber quote was 13000 in October... I’m very worried to see what my new quote will be. I should have just bought the wood and stashed it around the neighbourhood like a squirrel

View attachment 313918
I like the design!

View attachment 313918
Looks like roughly more than double based on price chart of October vs now.

Building half a yard's fence will run us 5k. Lumber prices have tripled basically. Its brutal. Some contractor friends said they think new build will be 40-50k more just because of wood this summer

Not good.
I hope it comes to a more reasonable price soon. I was talking with a friend in the construction biz today and he said that he had never seen that dip in prices that you mentioned @archited, but currently things are not looking good.

Building half a yard's fence will run us 5k. Lumber prices have tripled basically. Its brutal. Some contractor friends said they think new build will be 40-50k more just because of wood this summer
Wow. On a full length lot, cost us 1700 in 5/4 cedar last summer on one side. I assume the 5k is just materials?

Wow. On a full length lot, cost us 1700 in 5/4 cedar last summer on one side. I assume the 5k is just materials?
4000 materials. 1000 labour. Prices are going up every few days. Landscaper im working with said half the people he was working with have cancalled projects because prices doubled

Back