News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Miscellaneous

Gill Village Apartments

Rendering
Design Works Engineering

Construction of a five storey, 199 unit apartment building on an underground parkade.

A building permit was issued by the City of Edmonton on November 13, 2020.

Municipality:Edmonton
Sector:Residential
Type:Apartment: Low-Rise
Schedule:2020 - 2021
Estimated Cost:$41.6M
Stage:Under Construction
Developer:GillBuilt Homes

Pretty major project going up just off Calgary Trail near Gateway Park:

Description: To construct a new commercial building with underground parkade - Heritage Valley Centre. This permit application is for base building purposes only, all tenant work on both levels including demising walls will require separate permitting.
Permit date: November 4, 2020
Type: Building Permit
Subtype: (01) New
Category: Commercial Final
Class: Clinics, Health Units (642)
Address: 2503 - 103A STREET SW
Neighbourhood: CASHMAN
Zoning: IB
Value: $6,443,439.00

View attachment 281076

Heritage Valley Centre Commercial Building

Construction of the Heritage Valley Centre in south Edmonton will feature an underground parkade, along with commercial space on floors above grade.

Multiple building permits were issued for the project in late 2020.
Municipality:Edmonton
Sector:Commercial
Type:Office: Low-Rise
Schedule:2020 - 2021
Estimated Cost:$6.5M
Stage:Under Construction

Heritage Valley Centre Commercial Building:

377280956 12-4-2020 10-49-39 AM.png

I wonder who thought widening Fort Road into a pseudo-expressway would be an excellent way to incentivize high density development? I for one would prefer to not live beside a busy 6-7 lane road.
I don't think that alone would kill it. 109th and 114th streets are similar, but they seem to have more pedestrian traffic. 109th is especially busy in the University area, down to Whyte Ave. I think that Fort Road has potential, but it needs better pedestrian crossings. The diagonal crossings are especially gross in my opinion; pedestrians need to cross a heck of a lot of road. I think the city's recent focus on transit orientated development and pedestrian access will help to rejuvenate the area. For instance, the new Fort Road widening project will also include a new sidewalk and a multi-use pedestrian trail which connects with a current trail. These things are a large step up from the current tiny sidewalks and dead storefronts.

Ah. Disaster might be an understatement...
They're trying to wrap this up by the end of the year.
They also recently renamed it to Fort Crossing. https://www.fortcrossing.ca/

I drive by there for work pretty often, and on weekdays and Saturdays I often see 6-12 vehicles there, and a few people working on the exterior of the buildings. They're definitely working hard at it still.

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on at the "Fort Road Plaza" business condos (5811 132nd Avenue)? Construction seems to have been complete for a few months now. A business called "H&F" has had posters on the windows of one of the bays since before work on the building had finished, but they have not moved in yet. Does anyone know if the developers hit a snag on the building? Or is it just sitting empty because of a bad market, and whatever issues H&F hit along the way? https://www.cancomrcorp.com/project/fort-road/

^^^^ Lots of businesses -- ours included -- are waiting out the COVID uncertainty. There are several solid reasons: 1. we don't want to subject employees and their families to unnecessary health risks, 2. we don't want to subject a "diminished" public to the same health risks, 3. Banks aren't lending, 4. on-line services are stepping into the breach, and 5. 'tis the season to be jolly.

^^^^ Lots of businesses -- ours included -- are waiting out the COVID uncertainty. There are several solid reasons: 1. we don't want to subject employees and their families to unnecessary health risks, 2. we don't want to subject a "diminished" public to the same health risks, 3. Banks aren't lending, 4. on-line services are stepping into the breach, and 5. 'tis the season to be jolly.
Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the quick response. I guess it was just rotten timing on the building owner's part. Hopefully they hang on, it'd be a shame if yet another building in that area (*cough Station Pointe*) sat empty while its financially failing owners tried to offload it.

Back