News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Yellowhead Trail Upgrades

Project Update - May 2022 (St. Albert Trail to 97 Street)​

The project team is working to develop the preliminary design. The plan will include more specifics about the roadway and bridges, sidewalks and shared-use path, noise walls and landscaping.

On-site investigation work continues along the corridor to support the development of the preliminary design. You may see crews working in the area and there may be some minor impacts on traffic.

The City will use a “Construction Manager at Risk” delivery model to complete this section of the conversion. The construction manager will work collaboratively with the City and design team throughout both design and construction to ensure the project is delivered in an efficient and cost-effective manner.

What about Public Engagement?​

We look forward to connecting with you in fall 2022 when the preliminary design is ready to be shared. Feedback on active transportation (walking, biking and wheeling) connections, open space features, landscaping, noise wall replacement and the shared-use path will inform the next project stage, detailed design.

The City is committed to gathering your perspectives for consideration during project design. We value your input and encourage you to sign up for updates to participate in future engagement opportunities in 2022.

1653597071407.png

Now updated with surveys

City invites input on Yellowhead Trail Freeway Conversion Program​

May 30, 2022

The City of Edmonton invites residents’ input into projects, policies and initiatives that grow our communities, establish government services and prepare our city for the future. Below are current opportunities for Edmontonians to shape their city.

Defining what Edmonton will look like in the future:
  • Yellowhead Trail Freeway Conversion Program. The City is providing an update on the St. Albert Trail to 97 Street section of Yellowhead Trail and inviting input from residents of the following neighbourhoods:
  • Prince Charles - An online survey from May 24 to June 15.
  • Sherbrooke - An online survey from May 26 to June 15.
  • Dovercourt - An online survey from May 31 to June 15 and in-person session on May 31 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Dovercourt Community Hall.
  • City Council Public Hearing on June 8. Edmontonians are invited to speak to Council on bylaws and related reports. Register to speak online or in person.

Details about City public digital engagement activities are listed online at engaged.edmonton.ca with all opportunities at edmonton.ca/publicinvolvementcalendar.​

EB from 97 St to 82 St - they are installing the noise walls
EB from 66 St to the river - there's temporary signage for 80 km/hr, I wonder what the permanent signage will be?

I believe it'll be 80 km/h across the board, they want to keep the speed limit consistent.
I don’t think so. They moved the eastbound 100 km/h speed zone closer to 50th last year. And those signs are just covered up while the temporary speed limit is in place. Again, I think the 80 is for permanent sign installation, although I never see any signs of progress.

I don’t think so. They moved the eastbound 100 km/h speed zone closer to 50th last year. And those signs are just covered up while the temporary speed limit is in place. Again, I think the 80 is for permanent sign installation, although I never see any signs of progress.
"This means 3 lanes of free flowing traffic in each direction travelling at a target speed of approximately 80 km/hr."

First answer in the FAQ

I recall during one of the presentations, one of the staff was asked why it wasn't going to be higher in some spots (EG 100 km/h) and he said it was for consistency.

"This means 3 lanes of free flowing traffic in each direction travelling at a target speed of approximately 80 km/hr."

First answer in the FAQ

I recall during one of the presentations, one of the staff was asked why it wasn't going to be higher in some spots (EG 100 km/h) and he said it was for consistency.
Yes, but that’s a generalization. The speed zone was definitely moved last year, and those same signs are just covered up at the moment while the construction zone is in effect.

I recall them talking about the speed being consistent as well, but that was more for the sections through the city. For example, the new section between 97 Street and 127 Street is being built to high speed standards, but the section between 97 Street and 50 Street wasn’t. So to make it consistent through the city, one speed limit will be used for most of the Yellowhead. However, the speed increases as you leave town, so that transition has to happen somewhere. The section east of 50th is built to 100-110 km/h standards so there’s no reason they can’t allow drivers to go a little faster as they leave town.

I believe it'll be 80 km/h across the board, they want to keep the speed limit consistent.
Imma be real with y'all, I don't care what the speed limit's gonna be. The moment the whole Yellowhead's a freeway, as long as the road conditions are good and I can evade photo radar, I'm driving down that road at a minimum of 100 km/h Henday to Henday (i.e. basically what everyone does on the Whitemud XD).

Imma be real with y'all, I don't care what the speed limit's gonna be. The moment the whole Yellowhead's a freeway, as long as the road conditions are good and I can evade photo radar, I'm driving down that road at a minimum of 100 km/h Henday to Henday (i.e. basically what everyone does on the Whitemud XD).
Like a QE2 lite? Can't say I'm shocked haha

Back