News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Warehouse District Park

I think Edmonton's biggest weakness is in the downtown core, although there are some surprisingly vibrant neighbourhoods nearby. It has been an ongoing issue for years, but when you are stereotyped as being a blue collar city with a cold climate that doesn't seem to attract many of the large corporate offices that typically fill empty downtown spaces. However, although Calgary has managed to carefully avoid this image until now, their core seems a bit sterile and dead. It looks like a big city with appropriate big buildings, but minus much of the street level retail and bustle.

I agree there is an opportunity for Edmonton in the future, perhaps more so than in Calgary, if we are smart. Some people still do want to live in more central locations for various reasons and I think that will come back after COVID. Over the years a number of vacant lots downtown have been filled by residential development and I think that will continue. If we are smart, we should try to ensure there is a good mix of development that accommodates different types of families and income levels, and good access to nearby amenities, not just the vertical gated communities that dominate some city centres.

I don't think the city planning department here is particularly forward thinking. There is a conservatism often innate in the bureaucracy and unfortunately I don't think our municipal government attracts or encourages forward thinking either. Lastly there isn't much leadership by our current city council, who govern more as administrators than leaders. The last one can be changed, but I think as always it is up to citizens to take the initiative at times and put the pressure on the city to do more.

What is your take on the new City Plan? Do you think it's your typical run of the mill, more of the same Municipal Development Plan or do you think it's a forward-thinking plan for the future? Given it's the city's leading planning document, I feel it's a good representation of the city's overall urban planning mindset.

The new City Plan is a natural progression of conservative thinking and it neither takes into consideration some of the future elements that would make Edmonton a great City nor does it address the potentiality of existing communities. It is another broad failure.

Plans are nice words on paper, implementation is when they are judged. Meanwhile, for instance we continue to stymie developments that would improve our downtown that would replace a parking lot with a good residential developments. There is a disconnect here.

Pre-Qual is out!

Open

Q&A
Pre-Qualification Prime Consultant Services for Warehouse Campus Neighbourhood Central Park

The City of Edmonton Very Active Buyer

Posted On: 26 Apr 2021

Open for bidding on: 26 Apr 2021
Response Deadline: 25 May 2021 10:59 PM PDT

Opportunity Amount: $1,000,000.00 to $2,700,000.00 CAD
Response Deadline: 25 May 2021 10:59 PM PDT
(Buyers can close postings early)
Posting ID: 10160305(Doc2886507776)
Posting Type: Request for Quotation
Public Posting: http://discovery.ariba.com/rfx/10160305

Product and Service Categories
Architectural engineering
Structural engineering
Environmental technology advisory services
Urban environmental development planning
Technical drawing

The procurement documentation notes a requirement for the park to be in-service for Nov 2025, with full construction continuing through November 2027. Happy to see this moving forward, but I really wish they would push to accelerate the timeline as much as possible.

A good update at the DECL AGM tonight.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 7.11.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 7.12.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 7.13.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 7.14.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 7.16.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 7.20.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 7.19.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 7.18.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 7.16.46 PM.png

Darn, I thought the city acquired these properties. This'll be a great space to have regardless, I was just hoping that this would be more of an even square. Either way, I'm glad that the city is moving ahead with this!
map2.PNG

I am told that Doan's is in play still, but unsure as to what its future holds.
I sure hope that they get that land; it's much higher on my 'wants' list than the land to the north, since the city originally pursued the Doan's land to begin with.

Back