News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Warehouse District Park

The passive vs active use style park is such a great point.

A lot of parks in cities around the world I have seen have some great features within them: Cafes/food stalls, bike rentals, sports and workout equipment, gardens, cafes, fountains, museums, viewpoints, playgrounds, public art, and historical aspects. They are highly attractive places to be for everyone, not only to enjoy the passive nature aspects, but because there's actually things to do and see.

This park certainly doesn't have to have all these things specifically, but I would really love to see the City push for such an appeal for this park. At the moment, this is feeling like another place just to walk through if you're in the area, rather than a place you are actively drawn to.
I was in Brussels in May and stumbled on this internet radio/bar kiosk right in the middle of the park outside the Royal palace. It was pretty small and had a tiny selection of Belgian craft beer but it was the highlight of that day because it was just this cool place to just sit in the park and relax.

Obviously our winters play a part into what would work here, but it's an example of something existing that would be a really nice addition to help bring traffic in.

20220426_150301.jpg

I was in Brussels in May and stumbled on this internet radio/bar kiosk right in the middle of the park outside the Royal palace. It was pretty small and had a tiny selection of Belgian craft beer but it was the highlight of that day because it was just this cool place to just sit in the park and relax.

Obviously our winters play a part into what would work here, but it's an example of something existing that would be a really nice addition to help bring traffic in.

View attachment 431124

Do what luminaria does in the winter and serve hot cider and hot chocolate. Something like this along with winter functions keep it active year round. I’d make Edmonton’s substantially larger with an indoor area though.

Do what luminaria does in the winter and serve hot cider and hot chocolate. Something like this along with winter functions keep it active year round. I’d make Edmonton’s substantially larger with an indoor area though.
I'm sure that will happen with the concession in the park pavillion.

"You can't have an urban park without a cafe or restaurant CRU" - Nolan Marshall, Downtown Vancouver BIA, comment made at the EDBA's Imagining Downtown panel discussion today. The comment came with applause from the audience in the room.
City of Edmonton: “AGREED. WE SHALL PUT IN A SNACK SHACK.”

"You can't have an urban park without a cafe or restaurant CRU" - Nolan Marshall, Downtown Vancouver BIA, comment made at the EDBA's Imagining Downtown panel discussion today. The comment came with applause from the audience in the room.
No kidding, Sherlock!

Cafe styles are many and varied but -- in the context of this park -- an order-window and outdoor seating just doesn't cut it. Why are we trying to make this park something "less" when we should be trying to make it something "more"!

Next round of consultation starts Monday. Some public meetings are already planned for Norquest and MacEwan. DECL is hosting a meeting for members on November 30 at 6:30 pm

Cafe and washroom pavilion at the new Rainbow Park in Yaletown, Vancouver. Opened April 2022. One of the washroom glass doors had been smashed, and someone was fixing the 'hammock' that everyone talks about. Park is about the size of Alex Decoteau but cost $14m.

IMG-4838.JPG

IMG-4842.JPG

Back