7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Warehouse District Park

NorQuest College
13,775 followers
4d • 4 days ago
Follow
Warehouse Park: From parking lots to paradise.

Share your thoughts on the new signature park in downtown Edmonton!

When completed in 2025, Edmonton’s new downtown park will be larger than two football fields and include multi-use spaces and program areas. Located between 106 Street and 108 Street, north of Jasper Avenue and south of 102 Avenue and designed for all ages and abilities, the park will provide spaces for you to play, be active, relax and gather surrounded by green trees and a large open lawn. 107 Street will be closed to vehicle traffic and be transformed as a pedestrian promenade within the park.

Share your thoughts on the design at the pop-up event at NorQuest College on Monday, November 14 between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. or learn more about the project at www.edmonton.ca/WarehousePark.

^^^^ A complete upside down effort... two anaemic choices offered by an inept City Planning department and then a questionnaire that relies totally on public input to sort out possibilities within that framework -- where are the true professionals that are offering up imaginative solutions? What a boondoggle!!!

NorQuest College
13,775 followers
4d • 4 days ago
Follow
Warehouse Park: From parking lots to paradise.

Share your thoughts on the new signature park in downtown Edmonton!

When completed in 2025, Edmonton’s new downtown park will be larger than two football fields and include multi-use spaces and program areas. Located between 106 Street and 108 Street, north of Jasper Avenue and south of 102 Avenue and designed for all ages and abilities, the park will provide spaces for you to play, be active, relax and gather surrounded by green trees and a large open lawn. 107 Street will be closed to vehicle traffic and be transformed as a pedestrian promenade within the park.

Share your thoughts on the design at the pop-up event at NorQuest College on Monday, November 14 between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. or learn more about the project at www.edmonton.ca/WarehousePark.
There's also a survey that's open until December 4.
221122_WAREHOUSE PARK_PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT21-thumb.jpg
221122_WAREHOUSE PARK_PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT65-thumb.jpg
221122_WAREHOUSE PARK_PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT64-thumb.jpg
221122_WAREHOUSE PARK_PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT66-thumb.jpg
Screenshot_20221114-095826_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221114-095838_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221114-095847_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221114-095855_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221114-095900_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221114-095908_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I took the survey.
I'm not sure what they were smoking when the water fountain was designed, but a serious redesign needs to happen asap. They also need to do a better job with communication re: water fountain.
Other than that, I have no complaints.

Will add it in the survey, but really hope they don't go with the multi-hoop court.

With a full court people can actually organize proper games and not just play HORSE. It's even better for just shooting hoops because you can shoot from real lines.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20221114-105302_Chrome.jpg
The survey says they are also using dog friendly artificial turf for the off leash area.

You know what's already pretty dog friendly? Grass. It'll store carbon, is at least edible for anything else living in the environment, and isn't going to release microplastics everywhere. The concept is to have greenspace in the middle of a concrete city, it would be nice to have actual plants there.

^For the amount of dogs, the artificial grass at Alex D works fantastic. Grass wouldn't hold up for 1 week.

Fair enough, although i wonder if there is a natural option that's more durable. I'm just not big on dumping more plastic into the environment is all.

^Ya, probably not as durable. We're talking a small area of the overall park that is going to be mostly grass, trees, bushes, etc. Given what's there right now I'll take almost anything (actually that's not true).

Still think tennis courts would be the most used. That's what I see in every city I've visited.

I agree with @Garneau2Go on the basketball court -- it can also be striped to accommodate other sports -- Pickleball, volleyball, etc. Also why not include viewing stands in lieu of a containment fence on four sides. Again, I ask, where are the true professionals leading design possibilities?
Would be extremely disappointed if they don't go with the full size court option. I drove by this one in Calgary last summer and it was packed with people because you can actually play games.
1668459462457.png

Is there a plan to keep some of the existing trees that have survived all those years or are they going to go the high carbon way and just bulldoze everything and plant very expensive small caliper sized trees waiting 10 plus years for the park to look a bit like the pretty pictures?

I would love if they could plant descendents of the Holowach chestnut throughout. May be too much to hope for.

Back