News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Warehouse District Park

The park is proposed to have a washroom/pavilion building, a large open area for informal play, picnics, etc., a water basin/water feature, public art, benches (of course), a fitness area as well as a potential playground.
That sounds like a nice mixture. I like how aside from the passive area, they're also considering a fitness are and a playground for more active usage. @archited what do you make of this?

This site will be a failure in my mind if it does not significantly improve the livability for residents, young and old, in the immediate area. We need active recreation, play, social spaces.
Well those uses are anticipated, just don't expect any soccer fields or baseball diamonds lol.

Basketball/multi-use courts, playground, outdoor fitness equipment.
It'll be up to the Downtown Community League to identify basketball/multi-use courts as a program in need Downtown. I'm sure the design team will try to incorporate whatever needs DECL makes known through engagement.

That's the precise multi-use site I always think of and have played at while staying in the East Village.

It's well used by all ages, kids can safely ride around on their push bikes with parents watching and I've been to a pretty cool outdoor DJ show there as well.

That's the precise multi-use site I always think of and have played at while staying in the East Village.

It's well used by all ages, kids can safely ride around on their push bikes with parents watching and I've been to a pretty cool outdoor DJ show there as well.

With the City owning some parcels of vacant land in the Quarters, maybe they should look at a lower cost, temporary version of this and provide some outdoor recreation opportunities there.

^the skate park was an attempt at that... but was pretty basic and didn't deliver a great experience and thus failed.

Temp courts are simple, inexpensive and provides activity at different times of the day.

Yeah, basketball is growing fast and is an easy sell based on size and cost vs other sports. No brainer to include. A playground would be huge too. We need to keep more young families in the core longer. Moving when kids are 3-5 vs 10-12 has a big impact. The sense of family in Vancouver is beautiful. Feels safer and more playful/relaxing to have kids visible in a city.

Maturation and yet we used to have a much more family friendly/livable core 100 years ago in many ways.

Back