News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Warehouse District Park

I think we would be very well served incorporating a space like this.
I think part of the reason we don't have more useful outdoor spaces is because we fall for the stereotype of us being such a winter city. For instance, just mention the word fountains in this park and that is likely the first argument against them that will be brought up.

The Calgary space is nice, but interestingly they don't perceive themself as being a cold frigid city, although their temperature averages are really not that different from ours. Also, I believe the Warehouse Park space is much larger than this space, so this could just be one component of it.

I have to be honest, I am hoping for more of a botanical garden type of park here. I could honestly go without B-Ball courts or playgrounds as they may be underutilized being a challenging walking distance for most residences downtown. Not only that, b-ball courts in particular, make more sense from a design aesthetic to be placed in enclosed spaces like vacant alley spaces or pocket parks. Michael Phair Park would make sense to me.

Properly integrated open green spaces, cobblestone pathways, water features, temporary rink spaces, WELL LIT benches designed with arm rests, proper peace officer enforcement, and perhaps an ampitheatre are what make sense here. I also wouldn't mind a small parking lot for food trucks during the weekends, and space for further distance residents to park on weekdays to ensure ease of access and utilization. Either a lot? Or wide open street space dedicated to this form of usage along 106st.

Maybe I'll design a park at work when I'm bored. Just to bug @archited I'll put my former planning and design experience to use :p

It is a big park with two distinct sections divided by 107 street. Active park one side passive the other.

Here's what I would love to see:

-Walkways of this type are not necessarily utilitarian in nature and do not offer a shortcut for pedestrians, but they do allow for cyclical traffic for citizens admiring the park or enjoying the area as more of a stay. This design incorporates shared cyclist/walkways that connect to surrounding alley spaces - which encourages more active use of surrounding alleys. If incorporated, they city and surrounding buildings would be encouraged to beautify their alleys with art work and improved road conditions.

-This design incorporates acoustic reflective fencing, acoustic features, and fountains to create a white noise that both reflects traffic and city noise, and improves the white noise of the water features.

-Large archways to the north and south entrances act as the primary entrances to the park. These portions of 107th ave are to be saved as a service road for nearby buildings, as well as food truck parking and event vehicle mustering. These archways are to be well lit - Roman architecture should be considered in spite of more modernist archways.

-3 reduced size basketball courts incorporated into site due to demand. If demand is there, this ensures consistent and active usage of park space.

-Wading pool and fountain to be converted in winter time to rink space. Weather/Waterprood "Under the ice" LED lighting to be incorporated into water feature with considerations of Edmonton's dark winters.

-Abutting redevelopments of lots south of north of park are to have inward facing commercial bays to allow for future cafe space. Loading and unloading to take place by removing bollards from current alleyway to allow vehicular traffic.

-Trees and vegetation to be consulted on by local arborists with a mixture of coniferous trees. Any spruce trees are to have large surrounding mulch beds with heavy rubberized mulch (high up front cost, low long term maintenance)

-This design takes into consideration design elements surrounding proposed and under construction projects. Developers are encouraged to improve utilization of the service way and alleyspaces and to incorporate public art into their designs.

-Note: walkways are not to scale to improve viewability. Basketball courts and other wading pool do represent accurate scale.

Warehouse-Park- Steve Gosselin Design.png

I'd like to add my support to Stevey_G's proposal. A park needs to have some planting material (doesn't make it passive, and the leg grounds are far from botanical). I think that Calgary basketball court would be much better with shade trees along the boulevard and maybe a natural swale for rain and melting snow to run off to. I also agree with Glenco that 107th could split the park into two different user groups. The street could be non-active (like in the Ice District or Churchill Square) and food trucks could park on it during the summer events. The smaller side could have a court of some kind (or two). The other side could be more 'green'. Just my thoughts.

Love the playground and basketball court. Also appreciate the ivey fencing to block a portion of the alley.

I do think a water feature of some scale is nice, we have the leg and city hall with wading pools. A nice small feature that we appreciate at Paul Kane park is the little fountain and associated stream that kids can splash in or float little toy boats in.

Having children that use playgrounds you really learn to appreciate the importance of them for your normal activities and the way they bring people together. I could certainly see the space being a good meeting place if the right and enough active use spaces are included.

Back