News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Warehouse District Park

Did I actually read above that parking in downtown Edmonton, in any area of downtown Edmonton, is limited?

Definitely active options like the courts mentioned above + playground. I've seen some great water fountains, but I wonder if a spray area for kids would be a better activator/draw of people. But I guess we do have city hall and leg for that.

I am not a fan of allocating space for parking based on ample parking nearby within a few block radius. But that's coming from a guy who believes we need to remove curbside parking space from some of our streets throughout Edmonton moving forward with a focus on better active and public transportation options.

We need to get strategic about reducing dependency and frequency of use of individual vehicles in our city.
Yes, you did! It will definitely be more limited in this area with the development of the park. I am guessing this project will take out over 200 parking spots in surface lots and on street parking. If the rest of the projects in the area go ahead, it could be double that. Yes, there is parking in other areas, but someone coming to a business on 107 St. probably doesn't want to park on 96 street, where there are a lot of surface lots. I didn't say that every spot lost needs to be replaced, but this is a big potential reduction, so I believe it would be wise to consider replacing some with below ground parking as proposed.

Some people are very anti car, I get that, but many people who travel downtown use a combination of travel methods and will probably continue to do so.

Yes, you did! It will definitely be more limited in this area with the development of the park. I am guessing this project will take out over 200 parking spots in surface lots and on street parking. If the rest of the projects in the area go ahead, it could be double that. Yes, there is parking in other areas, but someone coming to a business on 107 St. probably doesn't want to park on 96 street, where there are a lot of surface lots. I didn't say that every spot lost needs to be replaced, but this is a big potential reduction, so I believe it would be wise to consider replacing some with below ground parking as proposed.

Some people are very anti car, I get that, but many people who travel downtown use a combination of travel methods and will probably continue to do so.
I wish we'd see a parkade or two get built, or (ideally) a mixed use one like what just opened in Calgary. I get that there's still a need for parking, and parkades are just such a more efficient use of the land compared to surface lots. And if any care is put into their exterior, then they can at least make the area look more alive (or less dead) compared to a wide open (probably gravel) lot.

I wish we'd see a parkade or two get built, or (ideally) a mixed use one like what just opened in Calgary. I get that there's still a need for parking, and parkades are just such a more efficient use of the land compared to surface lots. And if any care is put into their exterior, then they can at least make the area look more alive (or less dead) compared to a wide open (probably gravel) lot.

I'm 100% for having more underground parkades.

Making the LRT free in the core would also help, especially with the Valley Line opening. You could very well park on, let's say, 96 st, hop on a train and drop off pretty much anywhere DT.

I used the underground parking at Brewery District for the first time last week - usually I bike or walk there. I was amazed, on the cold day it was, that it was so empty compared to how many vehicles parked above. That's a huge underground parkade - I can't imagine the combined businesses there utilizing that entire thing. I imagine that was a sizeable cost to this project and impacts everyone's lease rates, too.

I used the underground parking at Brewery District for the first time last week - usually I bike or walk there. I was amazed, on the cold day it was, that it was so empty compared to how many vehicles parked above. That's a huge underground parkade - I can't imagine the combined businesses there utilizing that entire thing. I imagine that was a sizeable cost to this project and impacts everyone's lease rates, too.
I think the intention was to eventually replace the surface parking with more retail structures.

I wish we'd see a parkade or two get built, or (ideally) a mixed use one like what just opened in Calgary.
Thanks for adding the link, I hadn't heard about that project before.
I'm almost jelly of calgery again. What an incredible structure, incubator, innovative and adaptive asset for the East Village. I think it is also incredibly intuitive to offer 39 free parking stalls to help kickstart the surrounding local communities' growth at this time. The business model can always be reinvented as needed in the future.
For our future warehouse park and area, if there is a valid case for a need to add parking (I don't see it yet until we know of possible amenities/attraction's) I think that any parking should be underground. It's a fairly tiny park when you get right down to it and not a lot of space to waste when there might be other valid options.

Last edited:
Edmonton’s Warehouse Park project a ‘catalyst’ for downtown core
Warren Frey January 12, 2022

Some good memories there over the years, but happy to see this lot incorporated into the new park.

Reference ID: Job No 422350687-002
Description: Demolition
Plan B2 Blk 7 Lot 151
Applicant: PCL CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT INC
Create Date: 2/2/2022 11:08:07 AM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Some good memories there over the years, but happy to see this lot incorporated into the new park.

Reference ID: Job No 422350687-002
Description: Demolition
Plan B2 Blk 7 Lot 151
Applicant: PCL CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT INC
Create Date: 2/2/2022 11:08:07 AM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
Some decent size trees along the sidewalk on 107th. I wonder if some can be saved and remain in the new park. I don't know much about how these projects go but maybe could be difficult to keep them depending on how the park is designed and all the earthwork that will take place.

Back