News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Warehouse District Park

Competition closes in 2022 Design is due in mid 2023; Park is supposed to be complete by late 2024 -- more likely spring of 2025.
Would you have an idea why the time between competition close and design due date is so long? Would there not be a percentage of design already done from the competition submission?

If history dictates, once a winner among the five vying for acceptance has been chosen based on a proposal plan and associated renderings, then the City steps in to "value engineer" the winning concept. The "winner" then has to make their submission comply with City budgets and they have to then also task working drawings/construction documents. Essentially they will have to start from square 1 with a push-and-pull on previous concepts. In my experience it actually takes longer to fit a concept winner to the end result prior to construction. In short, the time-lines are overly optimistic.

If history dictates, once a winner among the five vying for acceptance has been chosen based on a proposal plan and associated renderings, then the City steps in to "value engineer" the winning concept. The "winner" then has to make their submission comply with City budgets and they have to then also task working drawings/construction documents. Essentially they will have to start from square 1 with a push-and-pull on previous concepts. In my experience it actually takes longer to fit a concept winner to the end result prior to construction. In short, the time-lines are overly optimistic.
I doubt the City commissioned a geotechnical report for the complete site and that Proponents were only provided the information that was available which was likely minimal such as a utilities plan. And as we know the land purchases increased from when the call went out seeking Proponents. IIRC NorQuest encountered some contamination due to an old railway spur running along the courtyard which required some soil remediation and this site is in the immediate area.Lets hope its complete for FIFA 2026.

Would you have an idea why the time between competition close and design due date is so long? Would there not be a percentage of design already done from the competition submission?
Not really. The RPP on chosen design firm will close soon, then consultation will start. There is no design work or engineering completed to date. That will happen after consultation and permit approvals/design review by EDC etc. That process to final constuction drawings will easily take a year, with construction starting some time in 2023.

That said, would love to see the whole project/process move a bit quicker, with most of the work completed in 2023. There are so many factors though, not least coordinating construction with various departments responsible for associated infrastructure like 106 Street streetscaping (roadways), Valley Line LRT west construction, as well as any tower projects that go ahead around the park at the same time.

^^^^ The five "winners of the RFP have 18 months to make their submissions and that after the City has given them the nod to proceed -- that too was late coming. So 18 months to me means 2023. Then the process of dealing with the finalist begins -- consultations and production of construction documents together are going to take a minimum of another 12 months -- 2024 at the earliest before construction can begin... and construction is going to take longer than a year -- 2025, optimistically.

Cpl. we will certainly get a good overview of their proposal, but then the cutting and slashing will begin and it will take roughly a year's worth of radio silence beyond that time until we see what is actually going to get built. You could probably count on about half of what they propose actually getting built whatever it is that they propose. I am saying we won't know much for about 30 months from now and, again, history being the teacher, we probably won't like the end result -- in auto parlance we will be offered a Rolls Royce and we will end up getting a Deux Chevaux.

Cpl. we will certainly get a good overview of their proposal, but then the cutting and slashing will begin and it will take roughly a year's worth of radio silence beyond that time until we see what is actually going to get built. You could probably count on about half of what they propose actually getting built whatever it is that they propose. I am saying we won't know much for about 30 months from now and, again, history being the teacher, we probably won't like the end result -- in auto parlance we will be offered a Rolls Royce and we will end up getting a Deux Chevaux.
Honestly this space does not need to be over complicated. I could see something comparable to George Wainburn (sp?) Park in Vancouver. A broad green space as a gathering space for families and animal lovers. With a large centrepiece pool/skating rink and a playground to the side. Surrounded by elegant fencing, Swedish aspens, and some sitting areas to watch the dogs.

A wise man once said, “the more you over complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.”

Back