News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Warehouse District Park

Let's try and get to 35,000!

I can’t think of anything more trivial than naming a park for some catchy rhyme. As a joke it barely passes the grimace test. Let’s up our game a little I’m sure there are Edmontonians far more worthy of having a park named after them.

I can’t think of anything more trivial than naming a park for some catchy rhyme. As a joke it barely passes the grimace test. Let’s up our game a little I’m sure there are Edmontonians far more worthy of having a park named after them.
Incredibly enough, Nathan Fillion is very well deserving of getting a park named after him. Besides being famous, he's usually very vocal about being a proud Edmontonian, and is one of the most prominent art's patrons in the city. He usually makes generous donations to small theatres and theatre clubs, and he even pays for young Edmonton actors to go audition for roles, from time to time. All while being very low key about it.
He's one of those people Edmonton should REALLY look for to be a standard bearer for the city, and he's really deserving of recognition.

Central Park works for me. A statue of Nathan Filliom would be a fitting tribute . But then Mayfair Park worked me until they changed it to Hawrelak Park - a mayor I thought was contemptuous. If we took this to a plebiscite - I doubt the park would receive the votes for Nathan Fillion over Central Park. With so many statues, parks, buildings, streets and neighbourhoods being removed or renamed - it seems folly to me continue using peoples names.

Central Park works for me. A statue of Nathan Filliom would be a fitting tribute . But then Mayfair Park worked me until they changed it to Hawrelak Park - a mayor I thought was contemptuous. If we took this to a plebiscite - I doubt the park would receive the votes for Nathan Fillion over Central Park. With so many statues, parks, buildings, streets and neighbourhoods being removed or renamed - it seems folly to me continue using peoples names.

Warehouse District Park works perfect for me. We could go into the archives, dig up up some information on some of the pioneering businesses that operated on those now desolate lots, and maybe put up some information boards around the park detailing the evolution of the district from greenfield, to warehouse district, to automobile parking, to the park itself. Hell, you can make a great information board on how automobile parking reshaped cities across the continent and were representative of their times.

I'm just wanting to see what folks come up with and how they approach a rather challenging site given the parcels and abutting constraints.

I'm just wanting to see what folks come up with and how they approach a rather challenging site given the parcels and abutting constraints.
Which constraints do you speak of? The lots surrounding the park?
I suspect the city will likely mandate these owners convert these lots into paves parking lots if they are not currently slated for Development. Regarding the surrounding buildings, it would be pretty cool to see the Alberta Craft Gallery and the Khazana Building retrofit their roofs to allow for rooftop patios. It would be great for things like Arts competitions and whatnot, or seasonal workspaces for artists.

As for the other lots, I hope the integrate properly into the greenspace. There's plenty of textbook examples of urban parks that face the challenges this park will from around North America, what it really boils down to, as Ted has previously mentioned, is the City getting out of the way and taking a hands off approach to planning/developing this project. If you want something extraordinary you can't bound it by all the rules that we've used to create the ordinary.

Last edited:
There is not a known or very developed edge to this site and so they will have to make a lot of assumptions for how it will interact, connect and evolve.

There is not a known or very developed edge to this site and so they will have to make a lot of assumptions for how it will interact, connect and evolve.
Au contraire, the Planners at City have defined their goals on edges quite clearly -- uh, I mean as far as their knowledge of such things will carry them. Jeez, we need such an A-to-Z house cleaning at the City!!!!!

Updated park parcel map:

dubbo.png

Back