News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Unbuilt Projects

definitely don't hate all of them... wouldn't mind that Waterfall ngl.

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 10.20.41 PM.png

I posted these on Skyscraper, but will post them here. This was long before the Omniplex. My fathers papers, the plan was also to use waste heat from Rossdale to heat the facility. And one of my brothers scribbling on it.
Dad scan 1.jpg
Dad scan 2.jpg
0001.jpg
scan0751024_1.jpg

Here's one from Fort Saskatchewan which I just added to the database. Fort Saskatchewan's City Council approved the construction of an Interpretive Centre in May 2014, which was to tie together the Heritage Precinct and feature exhibits, programming space, archival and artifact storage space, etc. The project was subsequently put to tender. However, in December 2014 a councilor moved that the project be removed from the budget, and it passed in a 4-3 vote. It has since been removed from the ten year capital plan because subsequent councils were uninterested in revisiting it. Our current Mayor was also mayor back then, and she's a staunch supporter of the project. So I'm trying to raise a stink about it. But for the foreseeable future, it will remain unrealized.
Interpretive Centre 1.PNG
Interpretive Centre 2.PNGInterpretive Centre 3.PNGInterpretive Centre 4.PNGInterpretive Centre Map.PNGHeritage Precinct Master Plan.jpg

Attachments

• Interpretive Centre Article One.pdf
    209.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Interpretive Centre Article Two.pdf
    214.2 KB · Views: 100
Sometimes I go through this thread just to see what Edmonton could have been. Every time this post saddens me because that is my favourite style of architecture which Edmonton is missing due to being a younger city.
I undertand that feelng. However, a lot of the unbuilt office towers might be a blessing in disguise. Edmonton can have a downtown done right with the right mix of mixed use and residential towers instead of pure office. I think the right mix of structures will eventually make our downtown vibrant regardless of the state of economy. We have seen what blocks of pure office buildings do to a downtown. Look at our neighbors to the south. A core of beautiful empty buildings with little vibrancy. In adddition, Edmontonians need to be willing to spend money to beautify what we already have and a little attention to detail wouldn't hurt.

The loss of heritage buildings and one's that never came to fruition are a loss regardless of how one looks at it. We still have some though. Let us showcase them properly.

Maybe in the very long-term, but urban living/condos are a choice in Edmonton (and not a terribly good value prop); not prescribed due to housing costs or availability. What drives urban living in most cities is employment, convenience and lifestyle and Edmonton needs to do more to hit on more levels, more regularly and drive employers of size back to the core.

While Calgary has its own challenges/opportunities ahead of itself, I'd take their level of built-form and more recent activity any day of the week; those towers won't be empty for long.

Back