News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Unbuilt Projects

I always heard a rumor about a station being roughed in under WEM. Obviously it is just that, a rumor. But I could imagine there is a lot going on under WEM the general public doesn't know about.

That one always intrigued me.
Yeah, that one interests me too. I hear the tunnels under the mall are huge, so one can't help but think. I wonder if the above-ground station earmarked for VL West is a sign that it doesn't exist, or that it does but linking it to the line would be too expensive.

I always heard a rumor about a station being roughed in under WEM. Obviously it is just that, a rumor. But I could imagine there is a lot going on under WEM the general public doesn't know about.

That one always intrigued me.
Ditto. Someone tried to tell me about that one back in 2000. They went into great detail but I have a feeling they were just being trolls now...

The deets of what they told me what they it was planned for somewhere near Ice Palace which of course isn't far off the actual location for the station which will be built elevated above the existing transit centre... I'd just be happy with a proper all-weather link to whatever they build. FFS, just don't pull a "Southgate!"

Please don't make me. Watching clips of it on just the "Winter Movies Filmed in Edmonton" was painful enough... If anything go see Fran Drescher drown in mashed potatoes in the opening scene of Santa's Slay now streaming for free on Tubi.Tv Or at least SNOW DAY! Ye Olde Provincial Museum Government House Park makes a great winter cameo in it... Or even that old Jackie Chan movie from the mid 1980's that somehow shot a good chunk of it in Edmonton and WEM for some reason...

Who remembers this?

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.42.18 AM.png

I'll forever be annoyed that we live in a universe where Edmonton was denied a cool Art Deco tower. Proposed for the current day site of City Hall, the idea for this fifteen-storey hotel floated around between 1948 and 1949. Architects were to be Ross, Patterson, Townsend & Heughan, the successor firm to Ross & MacDonald, who were responsible for the Hotel MacDonald. Issues with financing and zoning prevented it from going ahead:
20210125_110203.jpg

I'll forever be more annoyed that we were denied a cool Art Deco civic centre. At the time plans were in the work for this hotel, the federal government wanted their long awaited Federal Public Building to be built nearby. The proposed site for that would have been where the Milner Library now stands. A lengthy planning battle was fought over the decision that resulted in the resignation of Edmonton's volunteer Town Planner, Cecil Burgess — in turn, this necessitated the creation of the City's modern Planning Department. After putting it on the back burner for another half-decade, the feds ultimately went with the current Legislature Grounds site. I mean, Burgess was probably right in his objections, but imagine having this hotel and the Federal Building framing Churchill Square:
Edmonton_Journal_Mon__Dec_20__1948_.jpg

Back