News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Unbuilt Projects

(Apologies for the poor quality pictures of all these newspaper articles.)
There were also several proposals in the 1980s to dome Commonwealth Stadium.
This first hideous mess was proposed not long after the stadium was opened in 1978. Estimate of $40 million to build.
IMG_1114.JPG

This $50M proposal from 1985 would have apparently been the world's largest domed stadium at that time.
IMG_1115.JPG

And the last "serious" proposal I remember seeing was from 1988. The cost was up to $100M. Kind of neat but looks like an alien ship landed in the Big E!!
IMG_1113.JPG

This smaller dome was proposed by the Ensphere Group of Canada for the 1983 Universiade Games. It was to be built on the site of the old Varsity Stadium and the Butterdome. Apparently it would have been large enough for indoor soccer and football. This proposal lost out to what is now the Butterdome.
IMG_1110.JPG

Attachments

• cones-of-dunshire-gif.gif
    cones-of-dunshire-gif.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 196
  • tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    214.4 KB · Views: 167
And finally, this was proposed by Peter Pocklington (mid 1980s??) to replace John Ducey Park. It was to seat 10,000-12,000 and cost $8M. Notice home plate is on Rossdale Road, rotated 90 degrees to the west from what we have now at ReMax Field.
IMG_1116.jpg

And just for spits and giggles, here is a concept drawn up by a budding young architect/civil engineer wannabe (me) sometime in 1979/1980 when all of the arguing had just started over building a new baseball stadium to replace the old John Ducey park. My thought was to do some adds/renos to Commonwealth to fit a baseball field within. Deconstruct the very bottom portion of some of the sections in the west stands and replace with fold able aluminum stands that could be moved back and forth for baseball and football (including all necessary bracing/supports). Kind of like what we had with the lower half of the lower tier at the Coliseum. Not sure if this would have been possible from an engineering standpoint. Also, add on to the upper deck on the southeast side to allow more seats directly behind home plate. This was possible as that is what was done when they added on to Commonwealth for the 1983 Universiade. Anyway, here it is in all its glory.
IMG_1109.JPG

You can see elements of it which were implemented on Jasper, though as renovations happen less and less. It is too bad a bit more money wasn’t available for the post cut and cover LRT rebuild to implement closer to the full vision. I remember hearing that trolley bus wires were seen as an impediment to doing more at the time, though that sound more like a convenient excuse setting two things people like against each other rather than an insurmountable obstacle.

Back