News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

U of A real estate

^it's a bit sterile and overplanned, but pretty impressive at the same time. Our family has a place in the early UBC land trust across the street which really is quite livable now with the SaveOn and other stores that have sprung up; it's a good model for the UofA to aspire towards.

Last edited:
^it's a bit sterile and overplanned, but pretty impressive at the same time. Our family has a place in the early UBC land trust across the street which really is quite livable now with the SaveOn and other stores that have sprung up; it's a good model for the UofA to aspire towards.
Sterile and overplanned forsure. I will agree it is impressive but that glow wears off pretty quickly. UBC does not feel integrated with the surrounding communities and City of Vancouver as a whole - partly due to historical development of vancouver's west side, UBC's relative geographic location and a lack of mass transit. But I just find the monotonous built form and vacuous landscaping to lack vibrancy, or at least lacking in vibrancy that doesn't feel forced.

There's also the obvious issue of affordability. But that is a broader issue beyond UBC.

I kinda like the fact that it is its own oasis out there, but yes, relatively poor integration.

Yes, every time I have visited that area of Vancouver, I notice how far and isolated it is from the main part of the city. It is odd given the density of much of Vancouver that the University area there feels so suburban and isolated, but I guess that is how things were planned historically. In my opinion U of A is 100 times better with being located nearby to an existing residential and commercial area and accessible to downtown.

I do think Vancouver is working to improve this and try overcome it, but there is only so much that can be done to resolve problems that relate mostly to location.

Yes, every time I have visited that area of Vancouver, I notice how far and isolated it is from the main part of the city. It is odd given the density of much of Vancouver that the University area there feels so suburban and isolated, but I guess that is how things were planned historically. In my opinion U of A is 100 times better with being located nearby to an existing residential and commercial area and accessible to downtown.

I do think Vancouver is working to improve this and try overcome it, but there is only so much that can be done to resolve problems that relate mostly to location.
I spent a couple of years managing a private student dorm on the UBC campus and there are some really interesting quirks of that area. As I understand it, UBC has control of all zoning and development in the land that includes UBC, it's surrounding neighborhoods, and Pacific Spirit Park as part of the UBC Endowment Lands given to it by the province. With the exception of some land returned to local First Nations. The City of Vancouver has no say over how the endowment lands develop and any integration (transit, etc.) that happens there has to be an agreement between UBC and the City.

At some point the City of Vancouver basically banned dense housing west of Cambie (Or was it main?) which is why all those neighborhoods are massively underdeveloped single family homes. As a result of their OWN choices many of those residents couldn't find places nearby to downsize into in the 2000s so UBC started building towers to fill that demand. End result, most of the housing on UBC campus is filled with seniors. We would regularly get noise complaints if students made ANY sound outside after 10 pm on a weekend. Most of campus is a dead zone for student life and is actually a hidden retirement community. It's bonkers.

Tons of profs and staff as well.

It's not unlike most universities, where the local Land Use Bylaws (LUBs) do not apply.

The UofA can basically do what it wishes with its lands.

Tons of profs and staff as well.

It's not unlike most universities, where the local Land Use Bylaws (LUBs) do not apply.

The UofA can basically do what it wishes with its lands.
True, except UBC is even moreso - it's not in the city of Vancouver, doesn't have city police (RCMP patrol the campus and endowment lands) and the local elected representative sits on the regional government.

I spent a couple of years managing a private student dorm on the UBC campus and there are some really interesting quirks of that area. As I understand it, UBC has control of all zoning and development in the land that includes UBC, it's surrounding neighborhoods, and Pacific Spirit Park as part of the UBC Endowment Lands given to it by the province. With the exception of some land returned to local First Nations. The City of Vancouver has no say over how the endowment lands develop and any integration (transit, etc.) that happens there has to be an agreement between UBC and the City.

At some point the City of Vancouver basically banned dense housing west of Cambie (Or was it main?) which is why all those neighborhoods are massively underdeveloped single family homes. As a result of their OWN choices many of those residents couldn't find places nearby to downsize into in the 2000s so UBC started building towers to fill that demand. End result, most of the housing on UBC campus is filled with seniors. We would regularly get noise complaints if students made ANY sound outside after 10 pm on a weekend. Most of campus is a dead zone for student life and is actually a hidden retirement community. It's bonkers.
Some good intentions I suppose, but this is bizarre - more density, but seniors housing instead of more student housing in proximity to a major university. I suppose this makes sense why the area is not as lively as it should be.

Brother bought in Westbrook Village, Moved up from Kits. The few times I've been there it seems pretty lively. Quite a few musicians live in his immediate area. So most evenings when out for a walk you can listen to live music coming from various suites. Would love to see more of this style development here. Either at the U or Blatchford.

Anything more on any of these projects?

While at different stages, the UofC Properties Trust seems to have weekly announcements it seems.

Yeah, Michener Park is going ahead. Land rehab now……lots of future units…..you know that. Who cares about U of C lands…..what is that even?

West 240, existing campus infill as there are multiple development and intensification sites.

They don't have the budget, aggressive enough mandate or capacity to do what they need to be doing and yes, the UofC Properties Trust is good comparison, model and bar thank you very much.

The UofA has an incredible opportunity to follow suit of other top tier campuses/institutions and should be moving north campus sites that make sense forward too.

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 9.28.31 PM.png

West 240, existing campus infill as there are multiple development and intensification sites.

They don't have the budget, aggressive enough mandate or capacity to do what they need to be doing and yes, the UofC Properties Trust is good comparison, model and bar thank you very much.

The UofA has an incredible opportunity to follow suit of other top tier campuses/institutions and should be moving north campus sites that make sense forward too.

View attachment 543941
Some of these lots may need to stay in their hands thinking about future expansion and new university buildings, as well. The ones by CCIS and east of HUB, especially, IMO.

Back