News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Town of Jasper Updates

Generally speaking you cannot expand your footprint or height or sqft with renovations with the parks and there are a whole bunch of other stipulations/requirements which puts a damper on reinvestment.

That said and while there has been some progress of late with Pyramid, JPL, The Crimson etc., the overall lodging experience is subpar vis a vis other mountain towns. Curious to see if Basecamp goes there.

For this reason we stay in Hinton most of the time. It's usually cheaper and the accommodations are as good or nicer in some cases

In Jasper this weekend.

New Hotel is going to the west of the old Sawridge. Looks like it could be ready next year, with a push maybe for next ski season.

On the west side of town along the rail side. The land is cleared and prepped for new rental housing. May start this summer.

To the east of the Sawridge the land looks like it is being prepped for another hotel or residence.

Stayed at the new Hostel (HiJasper). in a private room. My wife called it Euro spartan. total for the weekend was $300.00 very nice and quiet. and since we need accessible rooms now, this was the best we have found in Jasper so for.

Up at JPL they are still in reno mode. about 50% of the facility is available. They are doing landscaping this summer as well.

Any clue how development in Jasper works? I'm curious about two things:
1. Are they learning from Canmore and Banff that main streets should be pedestrianized (esp. in the summer)? Patricia desperately needs it.
2. Jasper seems like a post-war suburb. They have an infill policy, but what's the long term plan to actually densify?

1. Are they learning from Canmore and Banff that main streets should be pedestrianized (esp. in the summer)? Patricia desperately needs it.
2. Jasper seems like a post-war suburb. They have an infill policy, but what's the long term plan to actually densify?

Tbh I think the people who run Jasper look at what Banff and even Canmore have become and are like "yeah no thanks", in the hopes of keeping somewhat of an actual "small town" feel to it. In the end though, imo there is only 2 ways Jasper can go at this point: Either open up to more development and therefore tourists, gaining money and popularity while losing their small town appeal for good, or further settle into what they have now and fade into the background behind the more famous national park, periodically seeing a new hotel/motel here and there over the years.

Parks Canada is the Development Authority (same as Banff) and runs the show thru and thru.

1. They certainly could improve things from say Hazel to Elm and especially around the main plaza/square.

2. There is not a real appetite to expand the municipal boundary or increase the population due to environmental impact reasons.

You can read/learn more here:

Parks Canada is the Development Authority (same as Banff) and runs the show thru and thru.

1. They certainly could improve things from say Hazel to Elm and especially around the main plaza/square.

2. There is not a real appetite to expand the municipal boundary or increase the population due to environmental impact reasons.

You can read/learn more here:

From what I saw on Parks Canada and Town of Jasper sites, the boundary is already huge and they're not making use of a lot of it. I don't see a need to expand either. It's what's already in there that needs work.

Tbh I think the people who run Jasper look at what Banff and even Canmore have become and are like "yeah no thanks", in the hopes of keeping somewhat of an actual "small town" feel to it. In the end though, imo there is only 2 ways Jasper can go at this point: Either open up to more development and therefore tourists, gaining money and popularity while losing their small town appeal for good, or further settle into what they have now and fade into the background behind the more famous national park, periodically seeing a new hotel/motel here and there over the years.
I like Jasper A LOT, but 'small town feel' should not be confused with 'empty, closed and devoid'. Balance is needed and I most certainly do not want to see a GAP opening on Connaught, but there is a very real need to improve the consistency of visitor volume and get back to what it is good at ie. nature, experiences and relaxation.

Back