News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Town of Jasper Updates

MCXavierL

Member Bio
Reaction score
Feel free to delete this thread if not suitable for this forum. Was just in Jasper with the family and saw the new Pursuit hotel being built (attached to the old Sawridge - now named Forest Park Hotel) which will be completed this summer. Apparently the first new construction of a hotel in Jasper since 1983.

1648936711212.png

I have wondered why there aren't more upgrades that happen with Jasper accommodations. Always figured they don't have any trouble with selling rooms as is so not bothering with the investment. As for why no new hotels is it municipality limiting development?

I have wondered why there aren't more upgrades that happen with Jasper accommodations. Always figured they don't have any trouble with selling rooms as is so not bothering with the investment. As for why no new hotels is it municipality limiting development?

If anything, I think it would be Parks Canada limiting development as any development/building permits must go through their office. I don't know if I'd blame them though. Maybe there hasn't been an appetite for investment in Jasper if the hotels aren't filling?

If anything, I think it would be Parks Canada limiting development as any development/building permits must go through their office. I don't know if I'd blame them though. Maybe there hasn't been an appetite for investment in Jasper if the hotels aren't filling?
During my last project in town, we talked about it. Not so much Parks Canada but more the town councils them selves. there is a large vocal group that want no change to Jasper. They do not want it to become another Banff.

During my last project in town, we talked about it. Not so much Parks Canada but more the town councils them selves. there is a large vocal group that want no change to Jasper. They do not want it to become another Banff.
I don't think so. The Municipality of Jasper has no real authority, including Council.

The Municipality of Jasper Strategic Priorities actually supports development:
"Advance toward acquisition of Land Use, Planning and Development authority to create a Municipal Development Plan to encourage densification, infill and staff housing"

Generally speaking you cannot expand your footprint or height or sqft with renovations with the parks and there are a whole bunch of other stipulations/requirements which puts a damper on reinvestment.

That said and while there has been some progress of late with Pyramid, JPL, The Crimson etc., the overall lodging experience is subpar vis a vis other mountain towns. Curious to see if Basecamp goes there.

Generally speaking you cannot expand your footprint or height or sqft with renovations with the parks and there are a whole bunch of other stipulations/requirements which puts a damper on reinvestment.

That said and while there has been some progress of late with Pyramid, JPL, The Crimson etc., the overall lodging experience is subpar vis a vis other mountain towns. Curious to see if Basecamp goes there.

Meanwhile in BC... Okanagan Valley is getting a $175M Ski and Golf Resort where the old Crystal Mountain Ski Hill was.

Back