News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Touch the Water Promenade / River Valley "Seawall"

Is there an All of the Above option? Seriously there are a bunch of good designs that if executed could really help make it a better more attractive space however I am as much worried about the lack of hub-activity nodes i.e. small scale tourist/hospitality related venues, bathrooms, corner store/snack stops. I.e. all the reasons one has to leave the valley currently to continue your day without having to prepare camping style for an adventure... Louise McKinney in theory has done all the right moves physically speaking but the coherency and lack of vision makes it a mediocre experience even 25 years after the dinosaur exhibit took place on the hill... ;-)
I agree, and this was my primary feedback in the City survey. Even if budget constraints mean completing all the best received ideas in stages, I'd like to see a long term vision at play.

I caught (and released) my first ever NSR fish this summer at the storm outfall at Gov House* Park (healthy little Walleye or Sauger). The debris and concrete waste rehabilitation would be highly beneficial to wildlife, same with the daylighting of Groat creek. River accessibility is also huge to the "touch aspect" (my spot involved a 4 foot climb, not possible or safe for many seniors, kids, or reduced mobility fishers). I didn't like that it came at the cost of the great amenities long term.

edit* Gov Hills to Gov House

Personally I'm really excited about this project (if it goes through). This is easily the busiest trail section in the whole parks system and on a nice day the trails are absolutely packed. This project should simultaneously ease congestion while also allowing more people access the trails. I hope they incorporate this project with whatever's happening with the Rossdale Powerplant (gondola station hopefully) to form a public plaza. I've always wanted Rossdale to become Edmonton's version of The Forks or Granville Island and I think these two projects (touch the water and the gondola) make that dream closer to a reality.

If this makes it off the drawing board, this project could really breath some more life into that whole stretch. I just wish we could see a much more substantial link to the river walk at Louis McKinney Park. That would be an amazing walk along the river if it would go that far, and would have so many amenities along the way.

You can check out the city's newly released preferred plan and sign up for an info meeting here:

Screenshot_20210716-120223_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210716-120152_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20210716-120143_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210716-120133_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210716-120100_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210716-120050_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210716-120032_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210716-120021_Drive.jpg

I overall like it, but I feel like it still misses out on a very important thing: for something named "Touch the Water" there's very little water touching in the project (except if you account for the occasional 100 flood that is supposed to reach some of the new pathways). Also, I would love to see maybe a café or a small brewery in a few spots (maybe by the Victoria oval, Groat Bridge, High Level Bridge Hill and, obviously, Rossdale). Doesn't even need to be in the actual waterfront (I get the environmental concerns and all) but it would create destinations and give people a reason to go there other than exercise, creating gathering spaces and, as a bonus, supporting small, local businesses and generating more traffic and interest for the area.

This is awful. There is only one place to touch the water in the entire plan. Wasn't that the whole point of this excercise? We need a beach!!!
I agree. I don't want to impact the environment too much, but on the other hand connecting Edmontonions with our river more can actually improve environmental awareness and support for protection (imo). Accidental Beach connected many people with the river who otherwise wouldn't have done so, and something like that shouldn't be a one-off. How many Edmontonions actually experience the river other than crossing it during their commutes? I bet that number is very small among non-boat owners. Not to mention the tourism that something like a beach could generate.

I will say, I'm happy to see the Groat daylighting being included in this plan. Hopefully more waterways are daylighted down the road as well!

Back