News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Touch the Water Promenade / River Valley "Seawall"

That section of the river is one of the lowest trail sections along the river, and is closed during most high water events above 6 meters.

The plan along that section however is much more doable if they stay above the 86 flood line. As a user of the river, the section from Groat to Walterdale is one of the widest sections in the river and the destructive nature of high water and ice is reduced there. where as the section below the convection centre is the narrowest and the water carries considerable force through there. The Rowing club looked at moving to rafters landing in about the mid 80s. When we checked out the water over the summer and fall we just felt it was to fast for our needs.

I do like Option 2 though. It is the most doable.

My father thinks this ice buildup is from Groat Bridge construction breaking up ice underneath the bridge. Does that sound credible at all? I don't think that there's much machinery that could break up ice like this at this type of scale.

The problem is the the river level goes up and down all year due to the dam up stream. Ice forms and the river level changes and breaks away. If the river level was more stable the ice would form and stay. It would be much smoother and stronger, we might even be able to use it in the winter like many other cities.

The problem is the the river level goes up and down all year due to the dam up stream. Ice forms and the river level changes and breaks away. If the river level was more stable the ice would form and stay. It would be much smoother and stronger, we might even be able to use it in the winter like many other cities.

Is the dam the cause? The Bow River is dammed at both Ghost Lake and Bearspaw and the water level remains quite low throughout the year (other than the crazy floods).

I remember just as they started Ft Edmonton Park They build an ice bridge from Laurie Park to Whitemud so they could move some house across. Also The river was used for dog sled races when they had the MukLuk Mardi Gras. Long before the Big Horn and Brazeau Dams went up.

Is there an All of the Above option? Seriously there are a bunch of good designs that if executed could really help make it a better more attractive space however I am as much worried about the lack of hub-activity nodes i.e. small scale tourist/hospitality related venues, bathrooms, corner store/snack stops. I.e. all the reasons one has to leave the valley currently to continue your day without having to prepare camping style for an adventure... Louise McKinney in theory has done all the right moves physically speaking but the coherency and lack of vision makes it a mediocre experience even 25 years after the dinosaur exhibit took place on the hill... ;-)

And while it may be controversial, I still support plowing under The Dales. Well at least all the development located on flood zones. There's a reason the city until 1983 was buying up the lots and planning to convert it all to a large central park space... Yes the villages are quaint and spectacular places for those well-heeled enough to enjoy the luxury of urban village life, but the cost of flood-proofing it ($100M on the low end for berming the district and upgrading its infrastructure up to $500M if the Genesee Dam goes ahead) doesn't make it worth it for how few people would enjoy its benefits... Next flood? I say let nature reclaim the land and then tell idiots to stop building on unstable slopes and flood plains... Anyone else remember Whitemud Road's mansion follies? Now that was an epic cartoon-level blunder from start to finish...

And while it may be controversial, I still support plowing under The Dales. Well at least all the development located on flood zones. There's a reason the city until 1983 was buying up the lots and planning to convert it all to a large central park space... Yes the villages are quaint and spectacular places for those well-heeled enough to enjoy the luxury of urban village life, but the cost of flood-proofing it ($100M on the low end for berming the district and upgrading its infrastructure up to $500M if the Genesee Dam goes ahead) doesn't make it worth it for how few people would enjoy its benefits... Next flood? I say let nature reclaim the land and then tell idiots to stop building on unstable slopes and flood plains... Anyone else remember Whitemud Road's mansion follies? Now that was an epic cartoon-level blunder from start to finish...
you do know there are thousands of homes in edmonton that are much more likely to flood than those in the 'dales?

https://www.epcor.com/products-serv...ocuments/City-wide_Flood_Mitigation_Study.pdf

^makes me glad that my neighbourhood opted for a dry pond years ago.

There was an announcement years ago about new dry pond, but I wonder how many actually got built - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5052172

A few so far, with most to be constructed from now until 2037:
  • Parkallen
  • Edith Rogers / Malcolm Tweddle Schools
  • Steinhauer / Ermineskin
Kenilworth will start construction this year.

Back