News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Touch the Water Promenade / River Valley "Seawall"

Anyone that wants to express their opinion and ideas should attend one of the two meetings.

Touch the Water - Online Engagement #1
Jul 21, 2021 02:00 PM

Touch the Water - Online Engagement #2
Jul 22, 2021 06:30 PM

To register:

Find this very underwhelming as well. Why all the floating bridge detours? not sure who will use them and will take away the views from the main path. From what I've seen, small scaled lawns with seating around them are a huge draw for families as are art installations, I don't see any. I also don't see any Coffee shops, food kiosks or other small retail along the river, I think that is really missing, I know it is hard to drag my family for a long bike ride knowing there are no places to sit around, buy some treats and then carry on, in our river valley getting out to shops at the top of the river bank will most likely involve a big climb.

They can do so much better with the area around the powerplant, a deck of that size will just look barren and unwelcoming. I am not very motivated to participate in the public engagement sessions, the last one I participated (Ribbon of Green) was a good forum for people to participate but there has been no follow up, timeline, summary of the input, nothing. It felt like they paid consultants to hear the participants, not sure there was any listening.

Why have a walkway bridge in front of one of the pump houses? It looks terrible. The money saved can be used build steps going down into the river so people can actually touch the water. There should also be steps going down to the river where government hill is.

This feels like the bare minimum to catch up to every other city's waterfront paths. Like you all said, not inspiring or exciting. Much better than what we have. But much worse than what it could be. I'm sure there are financial restraints, I just want us to do it right the first time vs needing to redo and update in 10years.

I shared these before, but I will again. We need higher expectations.

I know our large banks, fast water, and ice add challenges many other waterfronts don't have...but still...let's get creative!
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 2.44.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 3.15.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 3.13.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 2.54.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 2.52.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 2.47.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 2.46.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 2.45.41 PM.png

I have a feeling this plan was very much influenced by advocates to keep the river valley as natural as possible. When looking at this design one could see that there was minimal emphasis on making something very attractive to bring more people to the valley. This is more about keeping costs lower and making the leave the river alone more prominent.

You are right @Edmcowboy11, I smell Edmonton City Planning's guiding hand behind this joke of a solution. The next Joke in the pipeline will be solutions for the Warehouse District Park, I fear. They, collectively, are doing Edmonton no favors. They seem to live in the realm of manicured renderings and kitschy names like "Touch the Water" instead of real workable solutions. I have first-hand knowledge that they fence-in potential solutions with their inane approach to design solutions -- "don't try anything to adventurous or unproven"; "by 'green' we mean natural plant-life; the paths are only there so that you can enjoy the natural plant-life (and we do provide benches so that you can sit and ponder the beautiful views)"; "we don't want you to think that you live in a City"; "What! -- we gave you 3 variations of the same song to choose from -- don't you know how to dance to our tune (after all, you picked the preferred solution)". Effing idiots!!! (I wish I could tell you how I really felt). The three people who died in Kinistinaw Park are only the ominous precedent of what is to come if the City keeps churning out these benign planning solutions (under the guise of Edmonton's most notable architect and a landscape firm double-seated in Boston and L.A. -- that is their cover in this criminal procession!) -- let the blood be on their collective hands. Edmonton can do far better -- but first we need to get rid of the deadwood that is holding the City back. The Edmonton Journal should be on this like a weasle on a rat -- dig up the methodology here -- print the names of the bureaucratic "designers" behind the solution. You can start with who came up with the ridiculous "touch the water" meme.

Back