7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

The Mercury Block II | Hodgson Schilf Evans

PXL_20231226_195503090.MP.jpg
PXL_20231226_195518097.MP.jpg

I don't mind the 3 storey walk ups, they served and continue to serve a purpose of providing affordable housing, but the problem is they are way too common in some areas like Oliver.

It will be nice to have more variety. Also the newer buildings proposed are taller and without a back surface parking lot, so you can have more density and residents on the same size lot. It is a good way to gently modernize and upgrade the area.

There really should be a penalty clause in every demolition permit. Give them one year or so to start to build and after that a penalty at least equal to the property tax on the previous building and increasing after that.

Most of the places I have seen torn down and sit empty for years have been older houses, some historic and would have been quite nice if fixed up or maintained. Its a shame to see blocks of nothing for years and years in some parts of downtown when it is getting harder and harder to find housing.

There really should be a penalty clause in every demolition permit. Give them one year or so to start to build and after that a penalty at least equal to the property tax on the previous building and increasing after that.

Most of the places I have seen torn down and sit empty for years have been older houses, some historic and would have been quite nice if fixed up or maintained. Its a shame to see blocks of nothing for years and years in some parts of downtown when it is getting harder and harder to find housing.
I mostly agree. Except the challenge of leaving old structures is that they can also deteriorate, get squatters, have fires, etc.

So I don’t think “not demolishing” is always the solution. But I do think minimum standards should be enforced. Grass and a nice fence like aldritt does should be the bare minimum.

I am not saying prohibit demolition, just not to financially encourage or incentivize it any more. Lot of people do the right thing and don't allow their properties to deteriorate, but .. sigh ... some people don't and some even go about demolition by stealth.

That is why we need penalties. A lot that sits empty for years is really not doing any good for the community.

I mostly agree. Except the challenge of leaving old structures is that they can also deteriorate, get squatters, have fires, etc.

So I don’t think “not demolishing” is always the solution. But I do think minimum standards should be enforced. Grass and a nice fence like aldritt does should be the bare minimum.
abandoned and uninhabitable buildings definitely are a different story, but quite often that's not the case, like here for example

If this gets built soon, this will be one of the most urban feeling areas/intersections of the City.
Agreed! If not then they will have essentially moved the problem lot from one side of the street to the other.

I wonder how residential leasing has gone for Mercury Block I? I imagine it's been quite strong based on what you're saying.
I’ll be visiting shortly and will try to get a sense from the leasing manager.

But based on how the Autograph team spoke at the Oliverbahn tour, this project is full steam ahead in 2024.

Bigger question is the timeline on the Shift towers. This one likely bumped ahead of those. They see the west Oliver momentum and are capitalizing.

I’ll be visiting shortly and will try to get a sense from the leasing manager.

But based on how the Autograph team spoke at the Oliverbahn tour, this project is full steam ahead in 2024.

Bigger question is the timeline on the Shift towers. This one likely bumped ahead of those. They see the west Oliver momentum and are capitalizing.

Do you know what the rents are for The Mercury? Any incentives? If so, please share.

Back