7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

The Edmonton Elks - CFL

5mins to wait, but this is looking like it will be the Edmonton Elks

E2zu0i-WQAEBcKQ
'

E2zu4MQVoAMb96T

The inanity here is that the plural of Elk is Elk not Elks (unless the former Inuit were including the Eurasian variety and are wont to play some North American Football in Düsseldorf and Taipei). Should have been called the "Edmonton Elk". Glad they didn't pick the "Edmonton Mooses", far worse of the possible chooses.

^^^^ What a bunch of Elk-wash! Naming is not the team's strong-suit; I hope it doesn't affect their play... the Elk are first and ten... hup, hup, hup... now the Elks have flooded the offensive zone (and speaking of offensive, what about that mis-use of the plural in their name!)

Last edited:
"The Native Americans called elk “wapiti”, which means “light-colored deer.” This comes from the word “waapiti” meaning “white rump.”

"However, Early European explorers thought that the elk resembled a moose. In Europe, a common name for a moose was an elk, so it basically got misnamed by the explorers in this context
."

some will say that elk should be treated in the same manner as most other wild ruminants where the singular and the plural are the same (bison, caribou, deer, moose, sheep) and that expressing the plural as elks, which is much less common and harder to say, continues the misnaming tradition...

it is, however, hard not to think it's still better than ottawa's precedent that would have given us the "greengolds". or the "goldgreens". go elks go!

Dibs -- I am now working on a modified bugle that precisely imitates the rutting call of the bull Elk in mating season -- it can be purchased by fans for a low $29.97 CDN -- get your pre-orders in now to be first among your easily influenced friends! There are several features for the new horn that are notable and unique: 1. a volume control designed to be set on high if you are near fans that are cheering for the other side (guaranteed to deafen them through the duration of the game); 2. although lab tests are incomplete, the horn seems to attract members of the female human persuasion as well (especially those who can out-arm-wrestle you); 3. there is an "inhale" reservoir feature that can store at least one six-pack worth of beer; 4. Since sound has energy, there is a feature which when properly directed can re-trajectorize (coined word, I'll collect the royalties after proven use) a football in flight (especially if it is thrown or kicked with a tight spiral motion) to improve both field-goal attempts and errant passes; and finally, 4.+ 1 if the beer and pizza that you thought was a good idea pre-game is wanting to return involuntarily, you can turn the horn around and use the fluted end to catch "the heave" (without splashing over onto your significant other).
Since the logos and promotional material for this Elk Bugle have already been printed (at great expense), I will be working to have the team change the name to either the Edmonton Elk or the Ponoka Elks (that was my original back-up choice).
Here is a range of sample sounds for your new horn from one (or two) of our compliant reps...

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be funny if there was a Saskatchewan team called the Moose Jaw Elk or the Biggar Elk (big as a moose) or in Alberta the Elk Island Elk or the Red Deer Elk or the Ian Elks?

Can't wait!
---

OPENING DAY! 35,000 FREE T-SHIRTS AT THE GATES!
vs. Ottawa, Saturday, August 7 at 8 p.m.
presented by Servus Credit Union
35,000 ticket holders will receive a FREE Elks t-shirt courtesy Servus Credit Union!

Elks debut their new antler helmets.

A celebration of the team's legacy, builders and the dawning of a new era of football excellence.

Post-game fireworks.

LABOUR DAY REMATCH - KIDS GET IN FREE!
vs. Calgary, Saturday, September 11 at 5 p.m.
presented by Save-On-Foods
Battle for Alberta CFL supremacy with the Stamps.
All youth 17 and under get in FREE.

Nice to see our team back in action, shame about that 4th.

Back