News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Terwillegar Drive Expansion

I believe was initially proposed when they were still discussing freeway or expressway option
View attachment 521747
Yah that cloverstack is closer to what the west YHT/AHD interchange looks like.

1700519817102.png
1700519868392.png

You can see how the SPR/100 Ave/AHD interchange has this weird configuration where the EB/WB lanes are pulled apart and the ramps come in on the wrong side (fast lane). It looks like Terwillegar/AHD interchange is similarly set up and it actually works better because then incoming traffic doesn't have to cross over the bus lane.

The Province is footing the entire cost of this interchange upgrade so it's really strange that they don't push back heavily against what was proposed.

Last edited:
Has construction on the SB Whitemud bus lane started? There's a dirt ramp roughly where it's supposed to go.

It's very steep though, might just be a temporary access for equipment.

Last edited:

As an aside, the 31 is already seeing service cuts. Not sure if it's because of construction or low demand, doesn't bode well if it's the latter....

As an aside, the 31 is already seeing service cuts. Not sure if it's because of construction or low demand, doesn't bode well if it's the latter....

Very anecdotal, but when I see the 31 leaving the U of A heading toward Leger it is close to empty (I want to say nearly every time I’ve seen it.) This is at the end of the work day. Not sure if we have numbers on ridership yet.

Hopefully things pick up!

The schedule shows 12 minute frequencies at peak and 20 minutes at midday, isn't that how the route has operated since it started?

Very anecdotal, but when I see the 31 leaving the U of A heading toward Leger it is close to empty (I want to say nearly every time I’ve seen it.) This is at the end of the work day. Not sure if we have numbers on ridership yet.

Hopefully things pick up!
Also anecdotal but when I watch it pass McKernan/Belgravia it is also often pretty vacant. I have noticed increased ridership in the last few weeks though.

The nice thing about the ARC card is that ETS doesn't have to hire people to count people riding the bus (my brother used to do that) and wait for their report to see how routes are performing. The feedback is pretty much instantaneous.

I used to take the 31 to Strathcona and University while living in terwillegar. One theory would be that as that neighborhood ages, the number of students under 25 has significantly dropped and therefore the use of transit. 50 year olds in terwillegar don’t take transit. But their kids might. But the majority of homes there are moving to empty nesters.

My childhood cul de sac was 17 homes and 14 of them were families with kids my age. I bet you 90% of those kids are grown and gone and only a few of those homes likely have new families. Most are likely people like my parents. Too young to downsize, too old to have children.

My elementary school used to have 18 portables. Seems to only be 4-6 there these days.

Well that's a shame then.

The schedule shows 12 minute frequencies at peak and 20 minutes at midday, isn't that how the route has operated since it started?

In the Feb 4 "patch notes" it was noted that there would be peak hour service cuts, and comparing the route schedules it does look like a couple trips were trimmed.

So are the skinny little piers are for the Drive’s lane widening? Or are they for the walking/bike path? What about that big fat pier sitting there by itself?

With the westbound lane closure does anyone know if there'll be any detour for the multiuse path?

Back