News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Terwillegar Drive Expansion

Great news. We need to add a lot more traffic capacity in edmonton as we grow towards 2 million people. Hopefully a portion of the budget that has been devoted to bike lanes that will be sparsely used can be reallocated to more transportation infrastructure that is actually used.

With the inevitable population growth it is definitely going to put more demand on our roads as you note and the thing is a lot of our mainstreets and other key roads where there are no bike lanes can't be widened any more for vehicles either. Adding more vehicle lanes will just not be an option in many areas of the city.
I think that is one of the strongest arguments for ensuring there are other viable transportation options to keep people moving.

Capture.PNG

Additional lanes and retaining walls?.....sorry - meant that as a question.

Last edited:
Yeah, of course... Let's double down on more lanes, roads, etc. And ignore all of the studies on induced demand, etc.
Transit and active transportation ARE the infrastructure that is actually needed.
"Induced demand" also applies for transit infrastructure!

I think we need way more transit infrastructure but we also need a decent suburban freeway network. When you have neither it just sucks for everyone.

PXL_20230806_154057576.jpg
PXL_20230806_154123426.jpg

Was out on my ride, and used the new MUP along the east side. That was quite a nice addition and one I am seeing added along most major through fares. Maskekosik Trail to 199st is great to use to get out of town.

Last edited:
The light sequence at Terwillegar and Rabbit Hill Road seems off. The median usually fills with those travelling from Terwillegar SB to Rabbit Hill EB, but the lights for those travelling EB on Rabbit Hill turn green on the west side of the Terwillegar before the ones on the east side.

Same issues with the split portions of Manning Drive. They should've just amalgamated the two sides like St Albert did with St Albert Trail. I doubt Manning Drive is ever going to be turned into the freeway, Terwillegar Freeway is likely not going to happen until 2055 minimum if ever.

Too bad left turns from a two way to a one way on a red aren't permitted here like in BC (after coming to a complete stop, when safe to do so, unless signs or signals prohibit it).

The bike lane will have its own separate bridge just north of the main bridge. Will be good for having less noise and chance of getting clipped by flying debris
Very, very long overdue. That MUP on the north side of the Whitemud/Rainbow Valley Bridge had to be one of the sketchiest MUPs around over the last few years. Horrible concrete condition, always covered in debris, metres away from cars going 90+...

I really hope they reconsider the Terwillegar/AHD drive interchange for Phase 3. Just have something similar to the SPR/100 Ave/AHD interchange, the earthworks are already roughed-in for it and it saves everyone a lot of pain down the road.

Have a dedicated pedestrian crossing at 156 St instead, like with 142 St over WMD. Can't believe the Province isn't up in arms over the proposed design, they almost killed VLW over the AHD crossing as well.

I really hope they reconsider the Terwillegar/AHD drive interchange for Phase 3. Just have something similar to the SPR/100 Ave/AHD interchange, the earthworks are already roughed-in for it and it saves everyone a lot of pain down the road.

Have a dedicated pedestrian crossing at 156 St instead, like with 142 St over WMD. Can't believe the Province isn't up in arms over the proposed design, they almost killed VLW over the AHD crossing as well.
I believe was initially proposed when they were still discussing freeway or expressway option
1700515803170.png

Back