News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Terwillegar Drive Expansion

Jesus Christ, that MUP crossing the directional ramp and the loop looks terrifying! I hope at the very least, the city installs flashing yellow pedestrian-activated lights. Knowing Edmonton drivers, one-ton hunks of metal will be barreling through those crossings at Henday speeds.

And the bus lane redesign is turfed. No need to spend more money for an inferior alignment.

Just noticed the Ambleside transit centre / park'n'ride isn't included either. Oh well.

I''m guessing the diamond could be high loads.
So why the loops and the off ramps? Or am I just looking at the design wrong?

It just seems weird. Surely high loads would prefer a less sharp turn (i.e the turn should be skewed the other way)? It looks even sharper than the loop ramps.

Moreover, why would high loads be travelling there in the first place?

I really hope the Province ponies up the extra cash to build the flyover ramps and make it the cloverstack that was originally proposed.

So far am very disappointed in the future that Terwilligar Drive will have. 3 lanes plus a bus lane from, 40th Ave south and north to 40th Ave. I give it less than 1 month after it opens that traffic will be exactly the same as it was before the expansion. You build more lanes you get more traffic. Still major pinch points. The MUP on the east is nice although they removed all the trees planted from Rabbit Hill Road to 40th Ave. I assume to spend money on replanting more trees. My negative thought of the MUP is they have supersized Rabbit Hill Road, 40th Ave and likely 23 Ave and Haddow to make it even tougher to cross as a pedestrian. Overpass at 40th Ave for the same cost would have caused way less emissions than all the dirt moving. And looks like storm water ponds where roads under the overpass could have been. So I guess if they build a future overpass system, it will be even more expensive. Rant over.

We will be revisiting this mess in <5yrs and then have to spend the dough for an actual freeway; how we are not connecting a very busy Whitemud to the AHD and fastest growing part of Edmonton is beyond me.

Back