News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Terwillegar Drive Expansion

Even with the construction, drivers can take Whitemud, or Century Park LRT to head downtown.
Getting to the whitemud or century is 20+ minutes already from edgemont or windermere...not to mention Chapelle or Keswick and the addition of more construction delays.

The SW is very big now. Century park doesn't even feel SW to me.

Yeah, exactly. So century park lrt isn't going to be helping SW drivers.

They'll be enjoying gridlock for years to come. Hopefully it sways some buyers from the sprawl
Yet, people still buy new houses there for some odd reason. I have yet to see the appeal of the SW over other areas of the city.

Drove down Terwillegar last night, was surprised at the progress already made between Whitemud & Rabbit Hill. The new Bulyea Rd straightened intersection looks nearly complete, and lots of grade work done right through to Rabbit Hill. Not much between there and 23rd, but then it picks up again between 23rd & Haddow. Driving, so no pics unfortunately.

Terwilligar today:
B8BD3A36-095F-4B6E-811E-A33613722E12.jpeg

Good news on the city website!

"Project Update - September 2021​

When the 142 Street Pedestrian/Cyclist Bridge project started, it was believed that construction of the bridge would need to follow the construction of Stage Two to allow for safe and efficient delivery for both projects. However, based on further review, including traffic detouring and construction requirements, we have the opportunity to start the construction of the bridge sooner.

It’s now anticipated that the bridge will start construction in 2023 or 2024. Further details will be provided as construction schedules for both the bridge and Stage Two are refined. Please sign up for project updates including planned engagement opportunities in November 2021."

Given that the ETA for phase two breaking ground is 2022-2023, it seems like they hope to start on the bridge around a year after they start on phase two. That's much better than tackling them one at a time, and also helps to make sure that the bridge won't get cut or delayed to save money down the road.

I really hope that this project might also include rehabilitation of the MUP as well on the west side of Snow Valley, and possibly the portion including the bridge. The east portion that was redone a few years ago when the ramps were rehabilitated is quite nice but the other side of the hill has gotten to the point that it is downright hazardously bad (who doesn't love having to dodge cracks and uneven concrete with cars whizzing by at 100 km/hr literally feet from you with no separation).

I really hope that this project might also include rehabilitation of the MUP as well on the west side of Snow Valley, and possibly the portion including the bridge. The east portion that was redone a few years ago when the ramps were rehabilitated is quite nice but the other side of the hill has gotten to the point that it is downright hazardously bad (who doesn't love having to dodge cracks and uneven concrete with cars whizzing by at 100 km/hr literally feet from you with no separation).
From the city's project page:
"Upgrades to the existing east-west shared-use path along the north side of Whitemud Drive to enhance user safety and comfort are being considered as part of the Terwillegar Drive Stage Two project."

I'm willing to bet it will be done, there is no sense in doing a fancy new bridge that dumps onto the broken concrete mess that exists today. I think we'll know their plans for sure at the consultations happening in late 2021.
The bridge path really needs help too, especially the huge metal rim-bender at the eastern end of the bridge path.

Back