News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

SkyriseEdmonton (Site & Forum Discussions and Issues)

I have lived in Ottawa, Edmonton, and North Vancouver (also Cold Lake, AB and Macklin, Sask.). Obviously N. Van has by far the mildest winters and sees snow only rarely. And while the winter temps were, on average, higher in Ottawa than in Edmonton, the high winter humidity of Canada's capital causes the cold to bite right through whatever clothing one chooses to wear -- so the winters are much more bearable in Edmonton because of the dryness of the air. My wife is from NYC and the winter trips that we have taken to Edmonton versus those to New York have caused her to comment that Edmonton's winters appear milder (again the difference in humidity) -- the exception being Manhattan where the temps are always several degrees warmer than outlying areas due to the dramatic heat-island effect. BTW Cold Lake lives up to its name.

There's definitely something to be said for the dry sunnier type winters. I was out in Victoria last winter, and even though it wasn't below freezing (around 5C) I felt absolutely cold the whole time. Going into the car and blasting the heat was the only way to warm up.

I have lived in Ottawa, Edmonton, and North Vancouver (also Cold Lake, AB and Macklin, Sask.). Obviously N. Van has by far the mildest winters and sees snow only rarely. And while the winter temps were, on average, higher in Ottawa than in Edmonton, the high winter humidity of Canada's capital causes the cold to bite right through whatever clothing one chooses to wear -- so the winters are much more bearable in Edmonton because of the dryness of the air. My wife is from NYC and the winter trips that we have taken to Edmonton versus those to New York have caused her to comment that Edmonton's winters appear milder (again the difference in humidity) -- the exception being Manhattan where the temps are always several degrees warmer than outlying areas due to the dramatic heat-island effect. BTW Cold Lake lives up to its name.

Comparing Calgary and Edmonton CMAs, 2016 Census

Total population
1,374,650 ... 1,297,275

North American aboriginal origins
55,430 ... 89,865

Visible minorities (does not include aboriginals)
463,450 ... 363,990

Immigrants
404,705 ... 308,605

Top 5 countries of immigrants
Calgary: Philippines, India, China, UK, Pakistan
Edmonton: Philippines, India, China, UK, Viet Nam

Top 5 countries of recent immigrants (2011-2016)
Calgary: Philippines, India, China, Pakistan, Nigeria
Edmonton: Philippines, India, China, Pakistan, UK

Comparing Calgary and Edmonton CMAs, 2016 Census

Total population
1,374,650 ... 1,297,277

Melissa and I were in the middle of our move I think and didn't complete the census... whoops

But wow Edmonton's nearly caught Calgary for size.

But wow Edmonton's nearly caught Calgary for size.

Yes, also while Calgary has a big head start in immigration (almost 100,000 more than Edmonton), current inflows into Edmonton are very impressive and the gap in annual immigration has shrunk a lot. While Calgary's immigration levels have more than doubled since the early 2000s, Edmonton's have more than tripled. In 2003 Calgary and Edmonton attracted 9,271 and 4,810 immigrants, respectively. In 2016 those numbers were 21,435 and 17,885.

ps: I'm originally from Edmonton and can't wait to visit once all the construction madness around the arena district is done.

Looks like Google updated their 3D models for Edmonton just recently. Images appear to be from late summer 2017.

Now shows Foxen, Edmonton Tower, Enbridge, Rogers Place, and partial JW and Stantec.

Capture.PNG

Alex Decoteau Park looks neat from above. Also, bike grid!

Capture2.PNG

I can spend way too much time exploring the changes, so I'll stop there.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 490
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 492

Back