2.6K     0 

New Zoning Bylaw

Step 1
Get angry* about something

Step 2
Come up with a reason to be angry about it

Step 3
Insert guesses in place of evidence that the reason for the anger exists

I suspect that the time required for the declaration was negligible. Low risk/high reward. Hasn't paid off.

*Angry is probably a strong word.

Coun Janz says:

Since the new zoning bylaw came into effect January 1st, Edmonton has already seen ~20 new mid-block row housing applications since January 1st, legalizing more housing choices!
Really excited to start seeing some of these pop up! Midblock is much more interesting than the typical corner lot 4 or 4+4 townhomes we have lots of.

Coun Janz says:

Since the new zoning bylaw came into effect January 1st, Edmonton has already seen ~20 new mid-block row housing applications since January 1st, legalizing more housing choices!
I'd really love to see some of the designs that are going to go up, if anyone has seen plans or permits.

Honestly, for the people who are better and more knowledgeable about this, why does it seem that Calgary is less enthusiastic about this? Especially since this is the Real Estate Board voicing disapproval. I don’t think we had the same issue here, unless I forget.

More funding announcements in Alberta today from Housing Minister Sean Fraser.

Banff got $4.6 million. Other Alberta municipalities receiving funds are Sylvan Lake, at almost $5.5 million, while Bow Island, Westlock, Smoky Lake and the Village of Duchess are splitting $3.69 million.

Didn't someone on forum say there would be some announcements in Edmonton last week - for something. I don't recall any announcements about anything.

Last edited:
I'm not a deficit hawk, and I'm not really bothered by hypothetical spending. I'm pretty much apolitical now when it comes to fiscal and monetary stuff.

Truly though, I think the numbers being thrown around for an alleged emergency are awfully small. While the housing accelerator fund is nice for those wanting affordable housing shouldn't it be somewhere closer to $1 Billion per 1 million people?

This money is barely going to make a dent. MUCH more is being sent overseas. The optics are kinda trash in that sense.

I think someone on here said it was to have Trudeau, Fraser and Sohi announcing together so that's probably the case. I'm hoping there's more cash and incentives besides the $175 million. I've got a feeling there might be.

I think someone on here said it was to have Trudeau, Fraser and Sohi announcing together so that's probably the case. I'm hoping there's more cash and incentives besides the $175 million. I've got a feeling there might be.
It's going to be the PM and Boissonault, no Fraser at this one at Leston's Edgemont project in the west end.

Back