News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

New Zoning Bylaw

One more interesting motion for information was proposed by Coun Rice and supported by just Principe and Cartmell regarding revisiting parking minimums.

Rice is concerned about what added density will do to community parking. She said transit service is not good enough and so people need cars to go to work, to school and more. And she has heard neighbourhood parking is significant challenge for people in her ward.

Screenshot_20231023-194707_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20231023-194723_YouTube.jpg

Another motion of his - to reduce the allowable size of a commercial establishment on a lot - was successful by an 8-5 vote.

View attachment 515125View attachment 515129
I understand not wanting 300 sqm of commercial, but 100 sqm is extremely limiting and largely kills the intent of allowing commercial. Very few businesses can make that size of space work. Even take out places with no seating often have larger back of houses than that. 200 sqm would have been a much better compromise.

I understand not wanting 300 sqm of commercial, but 100 sqm is extremely limiting and largely kills the intent of allowing commercial. Very few businesses can make that size of space work. Even take out places with no seating often have larger back of houses than that. 200 sqm would have been a much better compromise.

200 sqm could be the compromise. The report on Cartmell's amendment comes to council in Q2 2024 and admin will have a recommendation.

While I don't think that 100sqm is enough. I think it could encourage businesses to think outside the box when it comes to the design of their buildings. Could see a big increase in the amount of pocket retail around the city. Which honestly is kind of the point of businesses in residential areas. I feel like "hole in the wall" retail generally speaking caters more to local residents than people from across the broader city which I see as being generally speaking a good thing.

This video makes me feel even better about Edmonton’s Zoning Bylaw Renewal as we avoided many of the pitfalls mentioned.
A lot of people out there don't really understand how big of a deal our new Zoning Bylaw is for the future of the city. IMO, it might've been the single greatest political decision made in Edmonton in well over a decade (probably more)

Back