News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

New Zoning Bylaw

Already a ton of these in West Jasper Place, but I’m interested to see if some more mid rises get proposed or more townhouse/dense forms that are mid block instead of on corners. We have lots of old, run down homes in this area, so the redevelopment has been very fast vs some other neighborhoods (ex. meadowlark)

6671A54B-3F70-4068-9A92-CD61E601B291.jpeg
601C3488-EF24-4C60-BEFE-23B482E11A88.jpeg
6D758DDA-219A-4EC9-91FB-F506A9EECEFC.png

^I wouldn't mind seeing some of these in West Oliver, but maybe land is too expensive or these would cost a fortune similar to the Cantiro townhomes that aren't selling in westmount.

It would be nice to have some moderate size units that families could buy. That would be a nice addition to West Oliver

^I wouldn't mind seeing some of these in West Oliver, but maybe land is too expensive or these would cost a fortune similar to the Cantiro townhomes that aren't selling in westmount.

It would be nice to have some moderate size units that families could buy. That would be a nice addition to West Oliver
I think you'll see these be a huge hit in Glenora and Grovenor near the Valley Line. These are also becoming a hit in Parkdale near the Stadium Station, which is really turning into a much nicer area. The prices are being held down by it's long term reputation, but having lived there and St. Albert, I found the quality of life better in Parkdale.

1706805620375.png

Windsor is actually going to sacrifice Housing Accelerator Fund money because of densification. Seeing stuff like this genuinely makes me grateful that our Council and Mayor were all for the bylaw renewal. On a different note, send that money that Windsor is missing out on to us, if they're not taking it, then we should.

Both major Federal political parties have made it fairly clear that municipalities that resist more density are not going to get Federal housing funding.

Maybe the current Windsor council is content with how things are, or does not want to change much. I suppose they will eventually have to answer to their voters for that.

I'm almost certain that Edmonton hasn't received any Housing Accelerator Fund money because of Premier Danielle Smith's interference.

I feel Sohi needs to make a statement or update on this - he leads a declaration on a housing emergency and we're still waiting for this federal money and a response from feds on Edmonton proposal as pilot site for more indigenous led housing. Sohi said he also wanted feds at the table ASAP after making declaration.

Maybe a special development is being worked on, but this delay needs to be addressed

I'm almost certain that Edmonton hasn't received any Housing Accelerator Fund money because of Premier Danielle Smith's interference.
I'm hoping it's still some weird scheduling issues that is causing excess delays.

The irony of the Feds not giving Sohi's Edmonton HAF money due to Smiths interference despite giving Calgary their share is hard to comprehend. But also entirely possible

So much for the declaration of a housing emergency prompting action. At best it seems to have accomplished nothing and may have even led to certain things being delayed, slowed down or stopped.

I had thought being politicians our municipal council would not be so naive, but perhaps that was overly optimistic.

So much for the declaration of a housing emergency prompting action. At best it seems to have accomplished nothing and may have even led to certain things being delayed, slowed down or stopped.

I had thought being politicians our municipal council would not be so naive, but perhaps that was overly optimistic.
Not sure what you mean by this. There's been more action on housing municipally, provincially (at least in some provinces...) and federally in the last year or two than like the 2 decades before. Everyone sat on their hands until the problem couldn't be ignored any longer, and now things are finally being done about it, but those things take time. There's no quick fixes to our affordability crisis. I don't know why Edmonton's HAF fund is taking so long to be approved given the recent ZBL change, but I know there's a lot of discussions are likely ongoing behind the scenes.

Surrey and Burnaby both got theirs rejected initially and had to make some changes to have it approved. Windsor just got denied because they weren't doing enough and were continuing to try and protect too much of their City as single family.

I would rather the HAF applications be scrutinized closely, than have the feds just blindly handing Cities money because they claim they're doing enough for affordability.

... but the housing emergency was declared very recently not a year or two ago, even though it has arguably existed for some time.

Just to be clear, I am not debating whether such an emergency exists or not, but whether the recent symbolic declaration has or will accomplish anything more.

In my mind it was a waste of time which would be better spent on trying to fix the problems rather than symbolic declarations that will probably not accomplish nothing more and might sabotage the willingness of others to work with the city on this issue.

... but the housing emergency was declared very recently not a year or two ago, even though it has arguably existed for some time.

Just to be clear, I am not debating whether such an emergency exists or not, but whether the recent symbolic declaration has or will accomplish anything more.

In my mind it was a waste of time which would be better spent on trying to fix the problems rather than symbolic declarations that will probably not accomplish nothing more and might sabotage the willingness of others to work with the city on this issue.
How much time was spent on declaring the emergency?

It probably involved a significant amount of time by city management and certainly took up some of councils limited time while other things continually get bumped or moved back on their schedule for discussion.

Back