News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

New Zoning Bylaw

Might be better suited for another thread but there is a protest planned against the zoning bylaw changes and city plan on Friday. From what I understand some video about Edmonton's 15 minute city plans blew up on TikTok and got all the tinfoil hats in a tizzy.

When I hoped more people would pay attention to zoning reform this...uh...wasn't what I meant.

RDT_20230208_1458395904916703336631046.png

Might be better suited for another thread but there is a protest planned against the zoning bylaw changes and city plan on Friday. From what I understand some video about Edmonton's 15 minute city plans blew up on TikTok and got all the tinfoil hats in a tizzy.

When I hoped more people would pay attention to zoning reform this...uh...wasn't what I meant.

View attachment 455029
Sponsored by the UCP?

There was a kind of BS fearmongering opinion column about the new zoning bylaw in today's Journal that stumbled on what could actually be a very good idea to promote sustainable development: the ZBL doesn't even talk about emissions cuts incentives. Maybe if you want to build a single detached or semi detached house in any zone, you must install enough solar panels to offset 100% of its energy consumption. That should increase low density housing costs to slow sprawl while increasing middle density infill activity.

There was a kind of BS fearmongering opinion column about the new zoning bylaw in today's Journal that stumbled on what could actually be a very good idea to promote sustainable development: the ZBL doesn't even talk about emissions cuts incentives. Maybe if you want to build a single detached or semi detached house in any zone, you must install enough solar panels to offset 100% of its energy consumption. That should increase low density housing costs to slow sprawl while increasing middle density infill activity.
I think I’m going to try writing a response to that piece. It was very frustrating to read. As someone in their 20s in an infill that was 500k with a basement suite, hearing the classic “all infills replace a 350k home with 2 800k homes” is so dumb. Yes, glenora and garneau have 800k skinnies. But they don’t have 350k homes that are liveable or comparable sqft. And those are some of the priciest areas in our city. Lots of infills are 400-600k for townhomes, duplexes, and detached. The average detached house in new suburbs like chapelle and edgemont is 500k as well.

The whole piece read like the classic “I’m an AVID cyclist BUT bike lanes aren’t necessary…”

Back