News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

New Zoning Bylaw

EFCL has provided conditional support for the new bylaw but asking the City to include climate policy including targets for net zero homes by 2030 and other policy from the City Plan.

This is what I've got for possible votes, feel free to add why someone would lean yes or no since I'm not so sure on a lot of them.
Sohi - Yes
Ashley Salvador - Yes
Anne Stevenson - Probably Yes
Aaron Paquette - Probably Yes
Keren Tang - Probably Yes
Jo-Anne Wright - ???
Jennifer Rice - ???
Karen Principe - ???
Sarah Hamilton - ???
Erin Rutherford - ???
Tim Cartmell - Maybe Yes (He had an op-ed about housing, he is opposed to the Substantial Completion Standard)
Michael Janz - Maybe Yes(He seems to be all for density social media wise, but BelMac is within his ward and the Windsor Park vote kinda makes him a bit iffy for me)
Andrew Knack - Maybe Yes? (I think Glenora is in his ward so this is my main reason he's a maybe for me)

Council would not say an outright 'no', as they have been updated on the process throughout. If there was a delay in passing it would be with specific instructions (motion) to administration to look at certain aspects and report back. That would delay the implementation of Jan 1 unless they can get back to Council quickly.

I think all of Council agrees that the bylaw required updating/streamlining, it's just if there's certain more controversial aspects that are changed or amended at this point.

I am no politico but I am a bit worried this Council is going to get cold feet. Maybe not a direct no but delaying for more consultations, more studies, etc...

Not to sound dramatic over municipal zoning bylaws (good lord I'm a nerd) but I'm struggling to even think of the last time a piece of policy with this magnitude of potential lasting impact to our city going forward was passed at any Council, not just this one. Sohi is more of a politician than a visionary, for better or for worse, but aside from Salvador I don't think there are enough champions for this.

Janz has been really leaning into the Strong Towns stuff more recently. The parking lot thing has also seemingly set him off. I think he's a Yes

City Council will be reminded by administration of the years of work, resources and consultation that went into his project. Council approved a budget for it. It's happening, it's just weather or not there's any major changes or delay in implementation.

I expect the usual City Council voting paradigm - most will be in favor with Rice and Principe the only ones voting against.

So uh, are we going to get good boy money points from Sean Fraser for being very lenient when it comes to these? I’d love Edmonton to be plastered as the poster boy for zoning regulations, which means we get the carrot (all Housing Accelerator/Rapid Housing requests approved) in comparison to other cities which are being denied because of asinine regulations.

"If zoning renewal passes this October, we will be removing antiquated regulations that are raising our property taxes, increasing our carbon emissions and inflating housing costs. Yes, some neighbourhoods will experience change. But it won’t be because we’re forcing them to change — it’ll be because we’re allowing them to."

"Edmonton’s proposed zoning bylaw will destroy neighbourhood character, cost taxpayers hundreds of millions to implement and do little to provide what we need most, affordable housing."

"Edmonton’s proposed zoning bylaw will destroy neighbourhood character, cost taxpayers hundreds of millions to implement and do little to provide what we need most, affordable housing."
I wish we had the "rolling eyes" reaction, here.
The way this article twists and bends the reality out of shape for the sake of NINMBism is appalling.

I wish we had the "rolling eyes" reaction, here.
The way this article twists and bends the reality out of shape for the sake of NINMBism is appalling.
The author of that article worked for the CoE planning department in the mid 90s... kind of explain a lot about what happened here in Edmonton during that time (nothing).

Back