News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

New Zoning Bylaw

Is the hearing expected to overrun for multiple days, or are they capping it at whoever fits in today?

Edit* I can see they've prebooked out to Thursday with hearing time for this, so I guess we're going all week.

Last edited:
There are no opposition speakers yet. All people in favour speak first and that has been all day. Apparently there are 120 speakers or so against (a few less than that in favour).

1697510425626.png

1697510532111.png

1697510647557.png

This complaint becomes more and more insane and deluded as I read it through. 💀

I'm putting my faith in our council to trust in the hard work that the planning team has already done, and trust in the compromises that have already been made. I can't imagine enough of this council would be swayed by the same tired and repetitive nimby complaints we've heard for decades given how supportive they've generally been to the zoning renewal thus far.

But heck if it ain't a bit stressful waiting!

Last edited:
I'm putting my faith in our council to trust in the hard work that the planning team has already done, and trust in the compromises that have already been made. I can't imagine enough of this council would be swayed by the same tired and repetitive nimby complaints we've heard for decades given how supportive they've generally been to the zoning renewal thus far.

But heck if it ain't a bit stressful waiting!
If this was previous councils, I'd be very nervous, but with this one? I'm only slightly worried. That's improvement!

Council has just finished hearing from those in favour of the new zoning and the mayor announced that hearings won't be done on Thursday so council is looking at sitting either over the weekend or continuing next week to hear from everybody.

Currently in person at the public inquiry at city hall during the opposition hearing. Most ppl I saw here were probably 50 or retired. I am the only "young" person here right now. First time attending a council meeting after coming from uni. It's an interesting experience. I highly encourage coming if you have free time or never have experience a city council meeting.

Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 1.59.59 PM.png

Rice and Principe, are we surprised? Lmao no.

God. I might have some disapproval with some members of this council regarding their political leanings, but if a majority of this council, including the more right of centre ones approve this bylaw?

That's insane. So many municipal councils are having major issues regarding upzoning and we can see it out there. Calgary, Mississauga (with their decision being overridden by their mayor). A cross ideological approval of this could (and in my opinion SHOULD) make headlines across the country. I don't think we can truly realize how momentous this is if it happens.

Rice and Principe, are we surprised? Lmao no.

God. I might have some disapproval with some members of this council regarding their political leanings, but if a majority of this council, including the more right of centre ones approve this bylaw?

That's insane. So many municipal councils are having major issues regarding upzoning and we can see it out there. Calgary, Mississauga (with their decision being overridden by their mayor). A cross ideological approval of this could (and in my opinion SHOULD) make headlines across the country. I don't think we can truly realize how momentous this is if it happens.
I don't want to count our chickens before they hatch... but yeah, right? It's kind of great.
Seeing this zoning plan get passed will be justification enough for why I moved here from Vancouver. And continue to justify why I can tell friends and family from back on the coast to come here for a better life.

I want urbanists across the continent to have to point at Edmonton "If they can do it, why can't we??"

Back