News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Municipal Politics

Not saying right or wrong but on the surface, Edmonton could seem like a weird place that makes some puzzling choices. Or just very principled. Some examples.

How many cities have a chance to elect a premier representing your city and decide to vote them out? Case in point - voting out Don Getty in 1989 when Conservatives were going to win regardless. As an aside, Edmonton won't likely be home to future premier for a long while.

Minister of Natural Resources and Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan - endorsed by oil industry and one of the most powerful politicans in country from our city and she could only ever win by the skin of her teeth. If it wasn't for Oliver community, where she won big, she would have never been elected.

A major company wants to build a tower and tourist attraction in your city and the people reject its location. Company not feeling the love so Husky takes their tower to another city - Calgary.

Province looking to even up the score by investing in a project/amenity (I'm still not sure what), and it faces opposition from council member (and maybe more). Calgary council, which includes leftist politicians like Janz, votes unamiously for their arena deal which comes with provincial money.

Again, all these situations are unique with different circumstances, but on the surface someone might wonder what the hell?

Last edited:

Sounds like 4 of the complaints of harassment and 1 of discrimination have been substantiated by integrity commissioner - report coming Aug. 21.

However, Edmonton Coun. Jennifer Rice is asking for court orders to stop city council from sanctioning her for breaking council’s code of conduct and to throw out an investigative report alleging she harassed and discriminated against one of her former employees.
Not sure what she's trying to accomplish here. This is just going to Streisand effect the whole thing.

Janz is another of the "defund the police" crowd who latches on to any so called "progressive' soup of the day. He most likely is suspicious of capitalism, embraces big government and thinks he is smarter then everyone else. He lacks economic vision, fails to understand the importance of private wealth creation in a successful society and thinks government can create wealth and economic prosperity. He is a utopian dreamer.

Janz is another of the "defund the police" crowd who latches on to any so called "progressive' soup of the day. He most likely is suspicious of capitalism, embraces big government and thinks he is smarter then everyone else. He lacks economic vision, fails to understand the importance of private wealth creation in a successful society and thinks government can create wealth and economic prosperity. He is a utopian dreamer.
Sooo…

Exactly how is giving a third of a billion dollars of taxpayers money qualify as “private wealth creation”???

If you don’t think government can create wealth and economic prosperity, you too should be opposed to this.

Not saying right or wrong but on the surface, Edmonton could seem like a weird place that makes some puzzling choices. Or just very principled. Some examples.

How many cities have a chance to elect a premier representing your city and decide to vote them out? Case in point - voting out Don Getty in 1989 when Conservatives were going to win regardless. As an aside, Edmonton won't likely be home to future premier for a long while.

Minister of Natural Resources and Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan - endorsed by oil industry and one of the most powerful politicans in country from our city and she could only ever win by the skin of her teeth. If it wasn't for Oliver community, where she won big, she would have never been elected.

A major company wants to build a tower and tourist attraction in your city and the people reject its location. Company not feeling the love so Husky takes their tower to another city - Calgary.

Province looking to even up the score by investing in a project/amenity (I'm still not sure what), and it faces opposition from council member (and maybe more). Calgary council, which includes leftist politicians like Janz, votes unamiously for their arena deal which comes with provincial money.

Again, all these situations are unique with different circumstances, but on the surface someone might wonder what the hell?
I'm sure you could dig through the history of many other cities and find a number of puzzling or self defeating choices too. In Calgary the need for a new arena is evident, while here there is no pressing need for a new sports facility right now. It is more of a nice to have.

On a more positive note, one of the times I was proudest of this city, which has a history of too often looking for provincial money for things, was when we went ahead and built our new arena without provincial money. That was real initiative, self reliance and accomplishment that I have not seen here as much as I would like. After they tried to do something similar in Calgary, but couldn't and needed provincial money to make it work.

I realize Smith is trying to even things up a bit, but if she really wants to put money where it is most needed and would do more good here - use it to build a new hospital in the southwest.

I'm sure you could dig through the history of many other cities and find a number of puzzling or self defeating choices too. In Calgary the need for a new arena is evident, while here there is no pressing need for a new sports facility right now. It is more of a nice to have.

On a more positive note, one of the times I was proudest of this city, which has a history of too often looking for provincial money for things, was when we went ahead and built our new arena without provincial money. That was real initiative, self reliance and accomplishment that I have not seen here as much as I would like. After they tried to do something similar in Calgary, but couldn't and needed provincial money to make it work.

I realize Smith is trying to even things up a bit, but if she really wants to put money where it is most needed and would do more good here - use it to build a new hospital in the southwest.

You said...Edmonton has a history of too often looking for provincial money for things?

Curious what instances you mean.

Last edited:

"After they tried to do something similar in Calgary (building an arena) but couldn't and needed provincial money to make it work."

I would argue the provincial government saw a strategic political opportunity to contribute to Calgary's arena deal during a very tight election with YYC being a critical battleground and Calgary, no fool, gladly accepted the offer.

Could Calgary have built an arena without provincial money? YES.

Booster Juice sponsors Terwillegar Community Recreation Centre in 10-year facility naming agreement​

August 14, 2024

Edmontonians can soon visit “Booster Juice Recreation Centre in Terwillegar,” also known as “Booster Juice Recreation Centre.” Council approved this 10-year name sale agreement that runs until 2034 and will generate additional revenue to support recreation operations at the City of Edmonton.

“This is a very exciting partnership for the City of Edmonton,” said Roger Jevne, Branch Manager of Community Recreation and Culture. “This is the first name sale of a recreation centre in the City and has been several years in the making.”

“For a brand that started here, 25 years ago, and has expanded over every province across Canada, we are a proud Edmonton headquartered company and have not forgotten our roots. Providing support to our community is tremendously important,” said Dale Wishewan, Booster Juice President and CEO. “Partnering with the City in support of community recreation is a natural fit with our company because we are both focused on supporting the health and wellness of all Edmontonians.”

"This sponsorship agreement is the first that includes the name sale of a city-operated recreation facility for the City of Edmonton,” said Councillor Tim Cartmell. "We're excited to be partnering with a company that has similar values as the City for the facility and entire community."

Day to day operations of the Booster Juice Recreation Centre in Terwillegar remain the same and the facility continues to be fully operated by the City of Edmonton. Signage at the facility is paid for by Booster Juice and will be updated over the summer. After 2034, parties may mutually agree to a further seven to 10 year renewal at a negotiated fee. The City is keeping the sponsorship fee confidential to protect the City's financial interests in any future naming opportunities and the City remains focused on achieving the best possible value for Edmontonians in all sponsorship arrangements.

To celebrate the implementation of the name sale, the City will host a family-friendly media event at the facility on August 29, 2024, to celebrate the City of Edmonton and Booster Juice business partnership. More details will be announced at that time.​

For more information:
edmonton.ca/boosterjuicerec

^ Neat, Booster Juice is a pretty great local success story. Speaking of, would be nice if Explore Edmonton could ink a name sale agreement for the Edmonton Conference Centre (esp. since currently it's so easy to confuse with Edmonton Expo Centre).

Back