7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Municipal Politics

It's happening...

Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 10.28.19 AM.png

"Leger poll numbers for May also suggest two-thirds believe Edmonton is headed in the “wrong direction. Among Edmontonians over age 55, that figure climbs to 80 per cent"

lmao yeah not surprising there

I am not surprised, the mayor in particular hasn't seemed to take strong leadership role in dealing with problems - cautious, slow and reactive at best.

I feel we expected better and more from someone with all his political and government experience.

Sohi won by a decent margin; what's behind this drop?
Genuine dissatisfaction with some of his actions/policies, a stupid amount of vocal astroturfing because he’s a former Trudeau cabinet minister so he’s guilty by association.

Plus dissatisfaction could mean conservative dissatisfaction or progressive dissatisfaction (which there was a decent chunk of with the police funding formula)

It also doesn’t help that the survey has the other option as “someone else”. A known figure with a history is always gonna be seen worse when compared to our “ideal imaginary mayor” which that option essentially is.

It’s pretty common in political polling. “Someone else” always beats out a known quantity, and the numbers don’t change until names get thrown in and the numbers narrow.

This is essentially what I was going to say. But if you want a couple quick examples, 153 ave between 82 and 66, all the trees look dead or at the very least seem to have something very wrong with them, when compared to the ones down the road between 66 and 50. The center patches of grass on 153 have shrubs, some look dead and some have been removed. So you’re left with a hump where nothing but grass and weeds grow, and the JDs don’t seem to be able to cut them. There are also rose shrubs along 153 and also along 82 (south of 167) that again are half dead and end up overtaken by weeds.

What’s the point of spending money to plant nice things if you have no intention of spending adequate resources to maintain them?

Maybe it is hard to tell when you’re driving by, but when you walk and jog by many streets, it becomes very clear that many areas require work. Oh, and don’t forget the many bus stops and benches that get over run by weeds, but I guess maybe that is more tolerable than the crack heads over taking them
ok but the city does the majority of its trees and shrub replanting in the cool fall where they have a better survival rate.

Removal of dead trees happens in spring/summer and replacement trees often happen the following year after they have been removed.

There are some gardening practicalities you are overlooking. We had a very dry couple of years married with some extreme cold. There has been a lot of winter die off around the city and replacing the numerous dead or nearly dead trees around the city will take years.

There is no way the city can know, and thusly order replacement product for all the winter kill.

I see city crews out everywhere working in annual spring cleaning of the beds. So I remain confused about some peoples criticism

Genuine dissatisfaction with some of his actions/policies, a stupid amount of vocal astroturfing because he’s a former Trudeau cabinet minister so he’s guilty by association.

Plus dissatisfaction could mean conservative dissatisfaction or progressive dissatisfaction (which there was a decent chunk of with the police funding formula)

It also doesn’t help that the survey has the other option as “someone else”. A known figure with a history is always gonna be seen worse when compared to our “ideal imaginary mayor” which that option essentially is.

It’s pretty common in political polling. “Someone else” always beats out a known quantity, and the numbers don’t change until names get thrown in and the numbers narrow.
Its also the pollsters, the format of the poll as well as a very active online campign about some unfounded corruption elevated by UCP and Right wing media.

These same right wing actors are also trying to push 15 min city along with other things.

Its also the pollsters, the format of the poll as well as a very active online campign about some unfounded corruption elevated by UCP and Right wing media.

These same right wing actors are also trying to push 15 min city along with other things.
Bwaahaahaa….

Do you mean the same right wing actors that have taken over Barcelona, Bogotá, Buenos Aires, Melbourne, Milan, Paris and Portland?

Exactly. Those cities are now going to hell in a hand basket. I have heard they are all foolishly trying to bring in free parking downtown. Not good places to emulate.

Exactly. Those cities are now going to hell in a hand basket. I have heard they are all foolishly trying to bring in free parking downtown. Not good places to emulate.
bwaahaahaa...

Going to hell in a hand basket cities?

The only one of those cities not on the resonance list of the World's 100 best cities is Buenos Aires and 2 of the 7 are in the top ten.

Usually incumbent mayors here in their first terms poll fairly well and that also tends to discourage more credible candidates running.

IDK if Nickel can help himself so maybe he will run yet again, but I suspect there are several stronger candidates looking at this poll and pondering whether to run now.

There is a lot of dissatisfaction both with the mayor and much of current council, so I would not be surprised if someone picks up on the opportunity and coalesces it.

Back