News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Municipal Politics

Dead plants are replaced in the early spring or fall as transplanting / planting is summer heat results in a higher rate of failure.

This is just gardening 101.
They have been dead or over grown by weeds for many years now. Can you explain this to me since I didn’t take gardening 101?

They have been dead or over grown by weeds for many years now. Can you explain this to me since I didn’t take gardening 101?
Where is this? I drive all over the city I cant think of one flower/shrub bed that is left furlough.

Did you call 311 so it can be accessed and addressed?

Where is this? I drive all over the city I cant think of one flower/shrub bed that is left furlough.

Did you call 311 so it can be accessed and addressed?
You must drive totally different streets and avenues than I do if you never see furloughed flower/shrub beds.!

And if calling 311 is your primary suggestion then you must get completely different (as in actual) responses than the rest of us.

You must drive totally different streets and avenues than I do if you never see furloughed flower/shrub beds.!

And if calling 311 is your primary suggestion then you must get completely different (as in actual) responses than the rest of us.
This is essentially what I was going to say. But if you want a couple quick examples, 153 ave between 82 and 66, all the trees look dead or at the very least seem to have something very wrong with them, when compared to the ones down the road between 66 and 50. The center patches of grass on 153 have shrubs, some look dead and some have been removed. So you’re left with a hump where nothing but grass and weeds grow, and the JDs don’t seem to be able to cut them. There are also rose shrubs along 153 and also along 82 (south of 167) that again are half dead and end up overtaken by weeds.

What’s the point of spending money to plant nice things if you have no intention of spending adequate resources to maintain them?

Maybe it is hard to tell when you’re driving by, but when you walk and jog by many streets, it becomes very clear that many areas require work. Oh, and don’t forget the many bus stops and benches that get over run by weeds, but I guess maybe that is more tolerable than the crack heads over taking them

Some other often egregious examples I've noticed past few summers:
-Right between Health Sciences LRT and 114th st was brutal for ages with multi-foot tall weeds (City finally had a crew out to chop them last summer)
-Ambleside roundabout the last two years has consistently been wildly overgrown and looks ridiculous
-122nd st median along the U of A farm was WAY overgrown for ages

Overall, the City is pretty poor at maintaining road medians, and half the time I wonder why they even bother making these shrub beds because virtually nothing but hardy weeds can survive in them given the pea gravel and road salt that permeates the soil.

IMO, contract out the grass/shrub/flower bed maintenance or the City needs to ramp it up their care for it again. Letting weeds grow wild is not a good look for any city to have.

Naturalization makes sense in more places than we think.
I actually agree with this. But as an example, they just cut parts of 153 ave. Super inconsistent.. some spots they rode over all the grass. Other spots they cut one strip and left the rest. Other spots they left a long strip in the middle, and there are not even beds they are trying to avoid. So now it looks awful still. If you’re going to naturalize, that’s fine but at least make it look sharp by having consistent areas that are cut and follow some sort of logic or pattern

Naturalization makes sense in more places than we think.
Except what’s the point - or the logic - of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars planning and constructing medians and setbacks and playing fields and parks and then not maintaining them?

If you want them to be “naturalized”, let them be from day one and put the money in the snow removal budget.

Back