News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Municipal Politics

I'm not sure I understand the argument that COVID was a factor for Edmonton given that other cities are also going through the same pandemic and yet still scored significantly higher.

I appreciate Andrew Knack's response that he's interested in the city finding out what other municipalities are doing differently. Maybe some better practices can be adopted. Or maybe the city is operating fine and was graded unfairly- unfortunately its public image takes a bit of a hit with a national story such as this.

Maybe we need a War Room to combat such stories.

Another excellent choice -- it's been a few years since I last spoke with Kim. She supports out-of-the-box thinking!

Just hope we don't have a situation of three or four 'progressive' candidates like Krushell, Watson, and maybe Knack or Sohi splitting a large segment of that vote and then having Nickel slip in by garnering most of the votes on the conservative side of the spectrum.

But having choice of several quality candidates and viewpoints is good.

Yes that unpleasant split has crossed my mind. That is why I am in favor of runoff elections if no candidate garners more than 50% of the vote -- runoff contestants would be the two who garner the most votes (no matter their political leaning) in a rematch.

@ChazYEG Fo real tho! Jk, I've actually been a "Youth-At-Large" or YAL member of the Edmonton Youth Council for about 3 years now, so it's really interesting to see this. For me though... I uh think I'll hold off on that kind of responsibility until I'm a little older 🤣 (I guess it's important to say that I'll only be 17 this year so couldn't do it anyway lol)

@ChazYEG Fo real tho! Jk, I've actually been a "Youth-At-Large" or YAL member of the Edmonton Youth Council for about 3 years now, so it's really interesting to see this. For me though... I uh think I'll hold off on that kind of responsibility until I'm a little older 🤣 (I guess it's important to say that I'll only be 17 this year so couldn't do it anyway lol)
you're in high school... so, like, do what high schoolers do when they want to be adults?
get a fake?

jk. good for you for being engaged with the city so young. a lot of us (myself very much included) wouldn't have the gumption nor mental organization to handle something like that.
It's amazing to see so many young people and newcomers in this election. I hope we get to see some of them on council later this year!

This is a welcome surprise! What do you all think about this?

Honestly its nice to have more political engagement between the 16-26 age group especially within municipal politics. Too often, I've seen more people focus towards provincial and even federal efforts rather than locally from my own personal experience. Everyone wants to be engaged in the exciting world of federal politics or the craziness of the provincial party scene but never sleepy city councils.

Last edited:

Back