News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Municipal Politics

I think becoming the leader of the ALP would be a great gig for Iveson if that's where he wants to end his political aspirations. Hard enough to revive a political party that holds zero seats, but to do so with the Alberta Liberal Party is like asking someone wearing rollerblades to roll a big square boulder up an icy hill There isn't a dirtier word in Alberta than "Liberal", regardless of any actual affiliation with Trudeau's governing party.

If he was going to try to bring any party back to life, Alberta Party would probably make more sense, IMO

I respectfully disagree. I think most people who are progressive know that in order to have ANY hope of taking down the UCP in '23 you're gonna need a broad coalition of groups and having 3-4 centrist parties isn't going to help. I say anyone in AP, ALP, Greens, "Ye who enter, abandon all hope." Or at least hold your nose and vote Notley and the NDP. They have the best hope of bringing back sanity to politics in Alberta and I am glad more and more Albertans are starting to agree. To quote Joni Mitchell, "You Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone..."

Having said that, despite not having my support in the last election I think Iveson still has a great future ahead of him in politics IF he so chooses. Personally I see him more of a Federal Liberal running in Edmonton-Centre trying to reclaim that seat for the party. It's probably the easiest hanging fruit as it were for the party in the province since it was previously held by them last up until this last cycle. Plus let's face it, the former Mayor of Edmonton as MP for Edmonton-Centre. It's a dream job. There aren't too many viable openings but that's one he's probably tailor-made for and frankly if you squint your eyes real hard now he kinda looks like Trudeau... #JustSaying ;-)

I refuse to accept anyone who sees the world this way... Aka the "just business" crowd... You should be ashamed of yourselves!

0707-big-backersv3.jpg

The numbers speak for themselves... And for the record, I FULLY support a ban on both Union and Corporate donations... People vote, these entities don't.

McKeen not running

Good Article @Daveography -- the Province is currently being led by an underachiever armed with nothing more than a high-school diploma in the "I know enough about everything without clouding my brain with knowledge" righteous-first-premises-I-can-balance-the-budget actor. Actually, there is nothing wrong with a lack of education if you surround yourself with smart people and you let them do the heavy lifting. In a recession you spend or you fall into a deeper recession (that which has Alberta by the throat currently). You don't cut off spending -- especially to post-secondary institutions -- but I suppose Kenney thinks that a "lack of education didn't hurt me none" so why waste money there. This guy has the equation for a governmental fix exactly backwards. And, if you are of the school that "don't spend what you don't have" dictates then you are in for a world of much deeper hurt. I don't like to call names -- so I will rely on comparisons -- mini-Trump now leading the Alberta political scene. Higher powers please watch over the Alberta scene until 2023 when this wanna-be can be evicted.
In relation to the Municipal election give us a progressive that can focus on developing the technology sector, that can push for a hydrogen economy centered on Edmonton, that can rely on expert outside consultancy to deal with urban malaise (no more meager "planters-and benches" solutions), and that can reinforce Edmonton's strengths (post-secondary institutions, entertainment nodes such as Fort Edmonton Park, and the PROPER use of the N.Sask river valley. I am supporting Sheryll Watson for mayor and looking to find a strong candidate for the urban district to be vacated by McKeen. People who are unafraid to stand up to the Provincial government and who can call them out on their half-truths and worse.

Good Article @Daveography -- the Province is currently being led by an underachiever armed with nothing more than a high-school diploma in the "I know enough about everything without clouding my brain with knowledge" righteous-first-premises-I-can-balance-the-budget actor. Actually, there is nothing wrong with a lack of education if you surround yourself with smart people and you let them do the heavy lifting. In a recession you spend or you fall into a deeper recession (that which has Alberta by the throat currently). You don't cut off spending -- especially to post-secondary institutions -- but I suppose Kenney thinks that a "lack of education didn't hurt me none" so why waste money there. This guy has the equation for a governmental fix exactly backwards. And, if you are of the school that "don't spend what you don't have" dictates then you are in for a world of much deeper hurt. I don't like to call names -- so I will rely on comparisons -- mini-Trump now leading the Alberta political scene. Higher powers please watch over the Alberta scene until 2023 when this wanna-be can be evicted.
In relation to the Municipal election give us a progressive that can focus on developing the technology sector, that can push for a hydrogen economy centered on Edmonton, that can rely on expert outside consultancy to deal with urban malaise (no more meager "planters-and benches" solutions), and that can reinforce Edmonton's strengths (post-secondary institutions, entertainment nodes such as Fort Edmonton Park, and the PROPER use of the N.Sask river valley. I am supporting Sheryll Watson for mayor and looking to find a strong candidate for the urban district to be vacated by McKeen. People who are unafraid to stand up to the Provincial government and who can call them out on their half-truths and worse.

Still waiting to see the final cast of candidates for mayor, but what do you like so far about Cheryll Watson? I don't know much about her, but I would be interested in someone who could continue with urban revitalization efforts while also working to develop the tech sector and new startups.

Relevant reading:

Thanks for sharing. I tend to agree with much of what's written here but as politics is often about manipulation of the facts to convince people of a way of thinking, so too is a lot of media reports and journalism can be lazy.

In the case of Jan Reimer losing in 1995 because of a right wing campaign against her, there were many other significant factors involved. Reimer had been on council for 15 years and definitely had her time and opportunity to push her agenda and do much good. I was a supporter of hers for two mayoralty elections but by the third I was done and wanted a change. And honestly she seemed done, too. Yet, that election was still hers for the taking but the campaign did not have the same energy as previously, lacked vision imo and she didn't get out her vote or she would have still won. She still had decent popularity. She only lost by 1,300 votes and voter turnout dropped each election she was around. Among a few of her original supporters that I hung around with, there was no dislike of her at all and much respect, we just wanted a change and a fresh vision and a new voice. I don't regret my vote for Bill Smith, but I didn't support him after his first term.

Back