News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

Agreed, additionally, I think this area needs a big splash of a project, adding urbanism to a sea of parking lots is not going to attract investment. However, a major cultural institution or, just a lot of homes would. ICE District and 104th st was just as bad as the Quarters before the arena project, now it's a vibrant and emerging neighborhood with more construction on the way. The Quarters needs something similar, the Alldritt / Quarters Tower could have been it, but I think that project was way too ambitious. It needs a major project that will transform the neighborhood in a fundamental way. ICE District was a once in a generation type of project, but something of smaller scale, but with a big impact on the overall feel of the area, to draw in investment.

This would probably be either a private project, or a public-private partnership.
I think the biggest issue with the Quarters is the overall lack of motivation and willpower to want to do anything substantial at this time.

The city is facing some serious financial pressures (as are most cities in North America) due to inflation and a crappy Canadian economy. There are a number of big projects the city is currently involved in and a lot more coming up shortly or in the next few years. This also includes some substantial projects that need rehabilitation (i.e. High Level Bridge) and there just isn't enough money floating around to have council even think of any grandiose plans for the Quarters. There is also is very little appetite by developers to want to even attempt anything in the area.

The city spent a lot of time, money and resources consolidating land for the Warehouse District Park. It was the smart and right move IMO that will eventually payoff. I think the Quarters will require a similar amount of time, effort and resources as we are currently seeing with Warehouse District Park, especially given the fragmented nature of lot owners.

Ultimately, I don't expect to see any serious discussions take place for another 10-15 years. Not until economic conditions improve and some of the huge, upcoming projects involving the city wrap up. Never say never right, but I think there will be a day when conditions are right for developers and the city to want to make a splash here and make this maybe into a residential + entertainment spot of some sort. It would require a ton of time, money and work however.

I think the biggest issue with the Quarters is the overall lack of motivation and willpower to want to do anything substantial at this time.

The city is facing some serious financial pressures (as are most cities in North America) due to inflation and a crappy Canadian economy. There are a number of big projects the city is currently involved in and a lot more coming up shortly or in the next few years. This also includes some substantial projects that need rehabilitation (i.e. High Level Bridge) and there just isn't enough money floating around to have council even think of any grandiose plans for the Quarters. There is also is very little appetite by developers to want to even attempt anything in the area.

The city spent a lot of time, money and resources consolidating land for the Warehouse District Park. It was the smart and right move IMO that will eventually payoff. I think the Quarters will require a similar amount of time, effort and resources as we are currently seeing with Warehouse District Park, especially given the fragmented nature of lot owners.

Ultimately, I don't expect to see any serious discussions take place for another 10-15 years. Not until economic conditions improve and some of the huge, upcoming projects involving the city wrap up. Never say never right, but I think there will be a day when conditions are right for developers and the city to want to make a splash here and make this maybe into a residential + entertainment spot of some sort. It would require a ton of time, money and work however.

I'd like the city to create an athlete's village (with fed and prov funding) in the Quarters- except for different levels of housing need since we won't be hosting the Olympics unless there is a future Alberta bid.

Vancouver created an athlete's village for a few thousand winter athletes (false creek area) and London in 2012 had a village created for 17,000 athletes that both cities transformed into new housing and vibrant new districts.

After basic housing needs, our athlete's village could then be turned into a great new Quarters District.

See here: https://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/the-park/homes-and-living/current-homes/east-village

I'd like the city to create an athlete's village (with fed and prov funding) in the Quarters- except for different levels of housing need since we won't be hosting the Olympics unless there is a future Alberta bid.

Vancouver created an athlete's village for a few thousand winter athletes (false creek area) and London in 2012 had a village created for 17,000 athletes that both cities transformed into new housing and vibrant new districts.

After basic housing needs, our athlete's village could then be turned into a great new Quarters District.

See here: https://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/the-park/homes-and-living/current-homes/east-village
Funny you bring that idea up, but I've also could foresee the Quarters turn into an "Olympic Village" type development. A mix of mid and low rise residential buildings as well as another hotel and some type of cultural attraction could help give the area a lot of momentum.

I honestly think some type of partnership with the feds and province would be needed here for housing. The cost and scale here is probably too great for the city to go at it alone but this would be a great opportunity to see everyone come together to turn the cities biggest eyesore into something really special.

Again, the motivation just isn't there right now and won't be for some time unfortunately.

since we don't need an "athletes village" (are athletes hard up for housing? what about artists, what about homeless folk). why go that step? just build housing from the get go. I could see the opera house finding a nice home in the area just across from the Winspear. Seems to me that the market has spoken. Those with development funds are just not interested at this time.

since we don't need an "athletes village" (are athletes hard up for housing? what about artists, what about homeless folk). why go that step? just build housing from the get go. I could see the opera house finding a nice home in the area just across from the Winspear. Seems to me that the market has spoken. Those with development funds are just not interested at this time.

I wasn't suggesting we build housing for athletes. I was suggesting different types of housing - below market housing of different types and needs for the many people struggling. But it could be built in similar style to an athlete's village like Van and London.

I think I would rather Edmonton use the rapid housing money for something like that to deal with our current issues rather than provide large sums of money to developers (I'd rather give developers a tax break if nothing else to incentive them). The city owns land in the Quarters and could take a page out of Vienna, Austria, which has done a great job of building this kind of below market housing. The feds already talked about wanting to pilot more Indigenous led housing projects.

Northern Chicken now closed on 124 st.
104 location still open.

welcome_to_last_week.jpg

LOL. Well, better than it currently is I guess. Maybe. Nothing screams sunrise like an all-black tower.
"Additionally, the imagery of a SunRise is often associated with warmth, light, and a welcoming atmosphere, all of which are qualities that many individuals seek in their living spaces. The name not only captures the essence of a new chapter but also conveys a sense of hope and inspiration, making it an appealing and meaningful choice for an apartment building."

Soooooo... just make it all black!

There is a thread for this project and -- as per previous notes on the renovation -- the building is covered with solar cells on the south-facing facade. Solar cells = sun cells and so the name makes sense if you think about where the building derives its "energy". I assume administration will move all of these comments to the appropriate page. BTW it is an hotel on 101st street just north of downtown.

Not sure if there's a project page for this already... View attachment 533881
The Sunrise

"This name gains even more significance with the addition of a one-of-a-kind solar panel mural to the building’s North exterior. [...] the mural depicts the unity, coexistence, and cultural parallels between First Nations and Chinese cultures, incorporating imagery from the Cree seven sacred grandfather teachings and the Chinese zodiac. "

A pretty cool idea, excited to see how it turns out. I also hope "North exterior" is written in error... won't get much solar power that way

"Additionally, the imagery of a SunRise is often associated with warmth, light, and a welcoming atmosphere, all of which are qualities that many individuals seek in their living spaces. The name not only captures the essence of a new chapter but also conveys a sense of hope and inspiration, making it an appealing and meaningful choice for an apartment building."

Soooooo... just make it all black!
I guess it will stand out and a change is needed, so hopefully this will help.

Back