News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

IMG_1736.png

2nd ad in LinkedIn in the last 2 weeks…..

It'll go nicely with the 6-7 storey condo building that's on Gateway (the brick one).
Yes, if it is done as nicely as that one. If not it may look like a cheap suburban building that is really out of place.

However, I really think this prime location with great river valley views would merit a much taller building. There are few such spots available.

soooo we seeing anything that takes advantage of the new zoning regs yet? or will it take a while to filter through the system? i am excited to see what sort of infills we start to see. I am quite fond of the end of the block 3-4 unit builds that have popped up everywhere but curious how the mid block infills might change from the de facto duplex or skinnies.

PocketPark.jpg

I noticed this spot while scrolling around on Google Earth, seems like the perfect place for a tiny plaza or pocket park, maybe even some pocket retail right beside the LRT station. Anyone know if there's any plans for something to go into this space? Also, the white east facing wall of the Freemasons Building is absolutely begging for a talented street artist to do make a large art piece.

View attachment 532858
I noticed this spot while scrolling around on Google Earth, seems like the perfect place for a tiny plaza or pocket park, maybe even some pocket retail right beside the LRT station. Anyone know if there's any plans for something to go into this space? Also, the white east facing wall of the Freemasons Building is absolutely begging for a talented street artist to do make a large art piece.
Not worth investing money into at this point imo. Parks nearby are pretty overrun with drug use and homeless people.

^ Makes sense, such a shame though. This area has such great potential, and already has a ton of money sunk into making the urban environment nice (the Armature, the row of heritage buildings on Jasper, the Valley Line, the park, etc). Yet none of them have managed to be the catalyst to fix this area (we'll see about the LRT though, it's only been there working for a shirt amount of time, maybe it will give this area a jolt, though I haven't seen anything indicating that will happen anytime soon).

^ Makes sense, such a shame though. This area has such great potential, and already has a ton of money sunk into making the urban environment nice (the Armature, the row of heritage buildings on Jasper, the Valley Line, the park, etc). Yet none of them have managed to be the catalyst to fix this area (we'll see about the LRT though, it's only been there working for a shirt amount of time, maybe it will give this area a jolt, though I haven't seen anything indicating that will happen anytime soon).
A mistake here is thinking that spending public money on infrastructure will be automatically be a catalyst for private development. Those in government can over estimate the influence they have on things.

At this point the effort needs to be on building something, really anything that leads to significantly more people living in this area so it is not such a barren wasteland.

Having the new LRT line may eventually help too, but with the unclear construction deadlines and all the delays nobody in the private sector would seriously start to consider anything until after it was clear this is really up and running.

Agreed, additionally, I think this area needs a big splash of a project, adding urbanism to a sea of parking lots is not going to attract investment. However, a major cultural institution or, just a lot of homes would. ICE District and 104th st was just as bad as the Quarters before the arena project, now it's a vibrant and emerging neighborhood with more construction on the way. The Quarters needs something similar, the Alldritt / Quarters Tower could have been it, but I think that project was way too ambitious. It needs a major project that will transform the neighborhood in a fundamental way. ICE District was a once in a generation type of project, but something of smaller scale, but with a big impact on the overall feel of the area, to draw in investment.

This would probably be either a private project, or a public-private partnership.

Back