News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Miscellaneous

It was definitely torn down for that. They ran a news story on it a while back. A lady had a business there and didn't want to vacate yet because at that point LRT construction was still over a year away from starting. She wanted CoE (who is owner of the building after expropriation) to allow her to stay operating for longer, but they denied her request. That's why it sat empty for up until now

CONCEPT for HOPE transitional housing
hope_mission-1.jpg

Looks really nice, very excited by the possibility of more non-market housing getting built. That said, I worry that if this were ever built Chinatown would just become even more weighted down than it already is, these sorts of services really ideally need to be more spread out through the city.

Last edited:
HOLY CRAP.

That's where it is currently at?

Also, I wanted those legal volumes for my basement; what gives.
This was the exterior as of June 3rd:
oD6xYCc.jpg

and getting away with it.
I predict once this newest version of a doomed nightclub opens and closes in this location they'll have an "uh oh" and be rewarded with insurance $$ Calgary-style... Funny that! SMH... Even when I was still pounding jaggerbombs at Brewster's and Druid back in the day we'd never go to anything as awful as whatever happened to be open at Jasper and 108 in this location... And that says something when drunk journalism school students who love pitchers of unlimited tap beer from Boston Pizza won't go near a place...

Looks really nice, very excited by the possibility of more non-market housing getting built. That said, I worry that if this were ever built Chinatown would just become even more weighted down than it already is, these sorts of services really ideally need to be more spread out through the city.
All the housing is needed however I agree. A huge concentration in one ominous looking block sends off a very bad vibe. Aka institutionalized poverty. Aka the industry of charity where more money goes into well-meaning but overly bureaucratic endeavours instead of more flexible programming and spaces... Also known as The Taj Mahal effect I believe. Whenever a corporation plans a brand new corporate bauble the place is sunk because priorities are lost and focus changes... If they took the same $ and even just spread it into 4 smaller regional sites it would have a better impact. Then again I'm sure some economic efficiencies in doing a mega-project with one set of NIMBY neighbours also has its appeals...

I predict once this newest version of a doomed nightclub opens and closes in this location they'll have an "uh oh" and be rewarded with insurance $$ Calgary-style... Funny that! SMH... Even when I was still pounding jaggerbombs at Brewster's and Druid back in the day we'd never go to anything as awful as whatever happened to be open at Jasper and 108 in this location... And that says something when drunk journalism school students who love pitchers of unlimited tap beer from Boston Pizza won't go near a place...
Did the Calgary location on Stephen Ave go under?

I thought a chain would probably do better than the others that have tried this location.

Back