News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Miscellaneous

wasn't this the hotel that was slightly associated with MacKewan.
Think that one is dead in the water. That DP isn't new, was first submitted in 2015 and went through quite the rezoning dance before it was withdrawn. Unless of course someone has other information that is new. I don't know if Nerval has done any development?

Last edited:
Think that one is dead in the water. That DP isn't new, was first submitted in 2015 and went through quite the rezoning dance before it was withdrawn. Unless of course someone has other information that is new. I don't know if Nerval has done any development?
Yup, no action on that DP since 2017. Nerval has done some previous development work, such as this mixed-use infill on 97 Street.

More than a bit of green washing going on here I think. "Farm" sounds so much nicer than power plant and giving it an aboriginal name is even better PR.

Too bad they had to chop 51 acres of a natural wild area to build it. Now would city council let any company do this, or just wholly owned utilities?

More than a bit of green washing going on here I think. "Farm" sounds so much nicer than power plant and giving it an aboriginal name is even better PR.

Too bad they had to chop 51 acres of a natural wild area to build it. Now would city council let any company do this, or just wholly owned utilities?
It’s disgusting it was allowed and the present City Council need to be smeared with mud next election for this.

Wouldn’t it have been approved by the last council? This one is still fairly new.
It was, yes. Careful who you judge @EdmTrekker, we have a lot of councilors who weren't in office back then, and some encumbants — like Paquette — voted against it. It was a 7–6 vote after all.

And I'm pretty stoked for the solar plant, and think it's a very exciting project. I believe the location is excellently situated for this project.

Hmmmmm this feels less like representation for the land it is built on and more like blatant tokenism in an attempt to woke-wash this project which has ultimately ruined this land for a very long time

Hmmmmm this feels less like representation for the land it is built on and more like blatant tokenism in an attempt to woke-wash this project which has ultimately ruined this land for a very long time
I think the term "farm" has been used for a long time for renewable energy projects e.g. Wind Farm. Probably comes from harvesting natural energy in a field like setting. I don't see anything nefarious there.

Never heard of woke-wash before but i suppose language keeps (d)evolving. At this point arguing against using indigenous names for things (in the country the languages are from), especially when on the banks of the Saskatchewan, seems illogical and a waste of energy (oh, now I'm wasting energy arguing :eek:). I guess I don't really see the need to still name things after someone or some concept any more. Just name things after geography and function and there would be less moaning and more useful and descriptive names - E.L. Smith WTP Solar Farm - it's a solar farm at the WTP - sorted.

Overall I think the solar farm is a net positive and we will be reaping the benefits for years.

20220505_210351.jpg

In-fill project next to Delton grocery.

I think the term "farm" has been used for a long time for renewable energy projects e.g. Wind Farm. Probably comes from harvesting natural energy in a field like setting. I don't see anything nefarious there.

Never heard of woke-wash before but i suppose language keeps (d)evolving. At this point arguing against using indigenous names for things (in the country the languages are from), especially when on the banks of the Saskatchewan, seems illogical and a waste of energy (oh, now I'm wasting energy arguing :eek:). I guess I don't really see the need to still name things after someone or some concept any more. Just name things after geography and function and there would be less moaning and more useful and descriptive names - E.L. Smith WTP Solar Farm - it's a solar farm at the WTP - sorted.

Overall I think the solar farm is a net positive and we will be reaping the benefits for years.

Oh I'm not criticizing the name itself, I like Indigenous names for things, however the naming here feels very out-of-touch and disingenuous in this context, meant to cover up the effects of the project. I'm also not against solar farms or renewable energy projects either, but I still am going to question if they really couldn't have built this on a piece of cleared farmland or something instead of in an ecologically sensitive area like the river valley. Nonetheless, it's going to happen either way so 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Back