News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Miscellaneous

Yes, the subsidies have mostly ended. However, the glass is not totally empty - the economy is improving, most people are vacinated for COVID and it is getting to be close to Christmas, so people could start coming back to stores in malls more.

How many vacancies are there in Londonderry Mall?
That Starbucks was closed as it does not have drive-through or direct outside access, which Starbucks has prioritized since the pandemic began. There is a newer Starbucks in Kingsway that is adjacent to an exterior entrance that does quite well, for example.

That Starbucks was closed as it does not have drive-through or direct outside access, which Starbucks has prioritized since the pandemic began. There is a newer Starbucks in Kingsway that is adjacent to an exterior entrance that does quite well, for example.
This North American obsession with drive-thru is SO BLOODY ANNOYING! And this here is one of those cases of "the chicken and the egg", when I don't know which one is going on: the companies adapting to consumer behaviour or is it the companies leading such change.
The one thing I know is that a restaurant only has, or heavily prioritizes, drive-thru service, it won't have my business, just out of spite (and you can call me petty, I'll wear that hat happily)

Londonderry is about 75-80% occupied, which is no different from Kingsway or WEM.
Last time I was there, it looked like it was doing ok, except maybe the area around the Bay. I think as a mall, it is often underestimated, perhaps because it does not serve as upscale an area as some other malls here.

It is a good size and was nicely renovated a few years ago. Also, it is far enough away from the other larger malls in Edmonton that it has a good size area as its natural local market.

^^^^ more likely Amazon will be super busy.
I think supply chain issues might push people to ordering in person

I'm buying everything locally this year, after ordering two things on Amazon last year at the end of November that didn't come till till January and February, despite each supposed to be <10 day shipping.

This North American obsession with drive-thru is SO BLOODY ANNOYING! And this here is one of those cases of "the chicken and the egg", when I don't know which one is going on: the companies adapting to consumer behaviour or is it the companies leading such change.
The one thing I know is that a restaurant only has, or heavily prioritizes, drive-thru service, it won't have my business, just out of spite (and you can call me petty, I'll wear that hat happily)
I think in a year or two Starbucks may regret giving up some of these previously good locations, particularly if someone else snaps them up and they can't get them back. Yes, drive thru made sense during the times of COVID lock down, but as people start to go out to restaurants, malls and other high traffic walking locations again, it will become like last years fashion.

I notice not all the coffee and other chains were not as eager to close locations as Starbucks.

I have doubts about Hudson's Bay in Londonderry lasting for another 1 or 2 years.
The Kingsway location too, for that matter.

Just Londonderry and Kingsway? More like the company overall. It's a zombie corporation.

Here's the sad story with retail today -- so called bricks-and-mortar retail outlets make 85% of their income over the Christmas season (about 45 days or so) -- that has to sustain them through the rest of the year when sales are slow. I believe WEM is an exception because it has invested heavily in entertainment functions and has gained a reputation as a tourist destination. The first to tumble in today's world -- large "anchor" department stores -- witness Sears, Eatons, and more recently the Bay. Even discount stores like Walmart and Target are closing locations North-America wide. Amazon now controls over 50% of ALL Retail.

Last edited:
I have a feeling t is going to be a challenging Christmas season again, this time partly due to supply issues. I think some like Walmart seem to be hanging in there fairly well. Its too bad Target messed up their sojurn to Canada. I hope I am wrong, but I am not that optimistic about the Bay. The pull back and retreat of closing the downtown locations in several cities is not a good sign. I suspect it will continue.

It is tough for them to compete against Amazon, which I think has figured things out quite well. It is sort of like the on line version of what Sears used to be decades ago. I believe other retailers need to learn from them and adapt.

A few years ago, I tried to find something on line from the Bay, it was a customer experience disaster. I was looking for mens shoes and ladies dresses kept popping up. I hope it will be, or has been, improved.

Just Londonderry and Kingsway? More like the company overall. It's a zombie corporation.

I don’t know if it’s just because I’m in my 20s, but something I feel is never addressed with regard to the Bay, especially the downtown location closing, is that…. The Bay is…. Terrible?? Like. I once got gift cards to the Bay for Christmas and I wandered around for like an hour trying to find literally any clothing I wanted to buy. I wound up buying a few sweaters I only half-liked and now I never wear any of them.

The only thing I ever found it good at was fragrances. It’s a terrible shopping experience, feels woefully outdated even in its best locations, and carries a sad selection of mediocre clothing.

I think a Simons downtown would have had a radically different story to tell. I shop there constantly. Edmonton’s downtown is largely residential, not largely corporate, and it’s a young population. We don’t shop at The Bay.

Back