7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Miscellaneous

New office is open in Bell Tower.

20211013_155257.jpg

Sandman Signature hotel (formerly Sutton Place) has repainted the walls of the pedway to ECC. No sign of the photo gallery that hung there for decades.

20211013_155506.jpg

I noticed this too. The photo gallery was a brilliant idea that made what was a well traveled, but potentially boring stretch of the pedway interesting and classy.

I don't know, maybe they felt it was too much work to keep up or something else happened, or perhaps it didn't fit the Sandman brand which seems to me not as upscale as the previous hotel space.

I hope it was just an oversight or temporary lapse, or something similar and they do bring it back.

I noticed this too. The photo gallery was a brilliant idea that made what was a well traveled, but potentially boring stretch of the pedway interesting and classy.

I don't know, maybe they felt it was too much work to keep up or something else happened, or perhaps it didn't fit the Sandman brand which seems to me not as upscale as the previous hotel space.

I hope it was just an oversight or temporary lapse, or something similar and they do bring it back.
I found the portraits in that hallway kind of awkward, since they involved random people in 'Sears' type shots. I'm glad that pedway has moved on from the 1990s...

I hope 2 things:

1. The EERSS is able to open again somewhere else and can continue to provide emergency relief services
2. This building does not sit neglected for long or is not demolished given our track record of demolishing and leaving empty lots

Anyone have insights if there has been a private buyer here?
No idea but the piece about the gov't exploring private developer for the old RAM with the UCP in power sure scares the hell out of me. If there was ever a gov't to make some shady backdoor deal that goes completely awry for the public good, it's this one.

At one time the professional photographs featured a number of notable local people, but its the 2020's so perhaps there are none anymore.

Maybe pictures are considered to be 1990's. If so I then suppose nothing says the 2020's like a boring blank wall.
They will probably be replaced by a bunch of TVs that show a bunch of pictures. 😁

A lot of Balconies getting done this year.

I wonder how many might be changing to the "edge-mounted" design (like Sky and Encore) which, rather than attaching the railing to the top of the balcony slab (eating into the usable space) attaches to the edge of the slab, opening up more livable space. Can be a significant difference in room.

I hope 2 things:

1. The EERSS is able to open again somewhere else and can continue to provide emergency relief services
2. This building does not sit neglected for long or is not demolished given our track record of demolishing and leaving empty lots

Anyone have insights if there has been a private buyer here?
A couple of developers have inquired about this site and I know that one had tried to work a deal out but it fell through.

I don't have any insight here, but I expect getting rid of the long term occupant is the first step to redeveloping the site.

This whole thing is a big mess in my opinion. Even Not for Profit organizations need to budget for rent and that rent needs to cover the cost of maintaining the building.

However, if this organization shuts down, the cost of doing what it did will probably be borne by the Government in the end, so is there really a savings here, other than perhaps a one time windfall from selling the land and building?

Back