News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

Raises the standard for the area a bit. I don't understand why no one tries designing these things with a central turf grass, restaurants on the first floor and the office space above or in a small tower. They will already have underground parking, why don't give the surface back to people instead of cars?
Because apparently Edmontonians have a deep rooted fear of underground parking.

Raises the standard for the area a bit. I don't understand why no one tries designing these things with a central turf grass, restaurants on the first floor and the office space above or in a small tower. They will already have underground parking, why don't give the surface back to people instead of cars?

there are lots of examples elsewhere (uptown in victoria (and morguard's plans for bonny doon); cf's shops at don mills; etc.and even a few here albeit at smaller scales (i.e. the block; allard's strip mall on jasper; even the brewery district at some point if they reclaim some of the surface parking as more people migrate to the underground).

Last edited:
I assume the building developers are looking at the likely very limited underground parking as either something to either charge tenants extra for, or as an enticement for them.

As for customers, they can just park in front on the surface lot, like every other place in the area. I suppose it can be easier for quick trips and not having to navigate parkades with height and other restrictions.

I have a smaller vehicle and do enjoy the underground parking at the Brewery District when going there, but it never ceases to amaze me how the surface lots at malls or the power centres on the fringes of the city are often full even on the coldest days.
While I would like it, I think more underground parking will be limited to older areas closer to the city core such as Brewery District or Bonnie Doon, where parking and space is more restricted.

I greatly prefer the underground parking at Brewery District. I will only use the surface lot if the parkade is closed for some make-work project or I'm going to a building that is not served by the parkade (looking at you, TD Bank).

That development would be really exciting if it was just rotated 90 degrees. (With parking on the side towards superstore)

sometimes we also need to remember that these things take time and that what we see isn't always what we're going to get. bonny doon in 15 years will be like that.

oakridge in vancouver is like that - i remember when it was an "open air mall" with surface parking that functioned much like a strip mall. when customer traffic warranted, it was closed in; the surface parking started to get clawed back for additional development; then for parkade structures; then for higher densities... as the market supports more and more things financially, that's when they'll be delivered.

I think one issue with the development against higher pedestrian usage is that it is bordered with Gateway Blvd and industrial on the east side and Calgary Trail and somewhat minimal residential on the west side. Despite the controlled intersection on Calgary Trail I don't think too many pedestrians are comfortable with crossing that roadway.

I think one issue with the development against higher pedestrian usage is that it is bordered with Gateway Blvd and industrial on the east side and Calgary Trail and somewhat minimal residential on the west side. Despite the controlled intersection on Calgary Trail I don't think too many pedestrians are comfortable with crossing that roadway.
Very good point. Being located between two major road ways does also influence the type of development.

Edmonton Buddhist Research Institute is building two monastery residences behind the Truc Lam Monastery:

423048112.png

Someone posted the project page to Reddit. Turns out, this will be a primary healthcare building!
Pictures taken on February 13.
20220213_124040.jpg
20220213_124047.jpg

Back