News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Misc. Parks and Greenspace Projects

Slope re-naturalization near the Old Timers Cabin is slowly happening after about 3 or 4 years of trail renovations.

20240604_164434.jpg

20240604_164454.jpg

20240604_164502.jpg

Is this the same river valley area that Sohi wants to cede to Ottawa's control???
Inaccurate statement. Under no circumstances does he support ceding control. I don't work for Sohi, just trying to reduce amount of falsehoods on this site and keep it a reliable source of information.

Here's is Sohi's statement:

While Mayor Amarjeet Sohi has advocated for the river valley’s national urban park status, he said Wednesday certain things are non-negotiable for him.

“One of them is there will not be a transfer of river valley lands to the federal government,” he said during the meeting. “That Edmontonians will retain ownership and control of the river valley, that land use and other permitted activities are determined by the City of Edmonton as we do now, and that access to the river valley will be same for Edmontonians as it has always been, which is free of charge. That is my perspective — I hope that is shared by my colleagues as well.”

Inaccurate statement. Under no circumstances does he support ceding control. I don't work for Sohi, just trying to reduce amount of falsehoods on this site and keep it a reliable source of information.

Here's is Sohi's statement:

While Mayor Amarjeet Sohi has advocated for the river valley’s national urban park status, he said Wednesday certain things are non-negotiable for him.

“One of them is there will not be a transfer of river valley lands to the federal government,” he said during the meeting. “That Edmontonians will retain ownership and control of the river valley, that land use and other permitted activities are determined by the City of Edmonton as we do now, and that access to the river valley will be same for Edmontonians as it has always been, which is free of charge. That is my perspective — I hope that is shared by my colleagues as well.”
Thank you for the clarification, much appreciated

Yes, this is an opportunity for to improve and expand our river valley park system, and for our cash strapped city to get Federal funds to help with that.

I realize there are some who are sucked into the everything the Feds do is evil propaganda, but it the city can't get Federal funds for things then your property taxes will go up even more in the future as the city struggles to pay for everything.

Yes, this is an opportunity for to improve and expand our river valley park system, and for our cash strapped city to get Federal funds to help with that.

I realize there are some who are sucked into the everything the Feds do is evil propaganda, but it the city can't get Federal funds for things then your property taxes will go up even more in the future as the city struggles to pay for everything.
Perhaps the city should consider exactly what it is spending our tax dollars on. Regardless, city, provincial or federal there is only 1 taxpayer, and I've been seeing a lot of waste at all levels. Spending should benefit the most people period.

Perhaps the city should consider exactly what it is spending our tax dollars on. Regardless, city, provincial or federal there is only 1 taxpayer, and I've been seeing a lot of waste at all levels. Spending should benefit the most people period.
Really can't disagree with that, but the city has the least ability to fund things of all three levels of government, so it makes sense to share the costs as much as possible to help keep city tax rates down.

This is false. The provincial and federal governments rely big time on other income sources than taxes that cities can't use, such as foreign investments, international tariffs, and such.

Back