News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Misc. Parks and Greenspace Projects

Spending on money on public infrastructure only for the "right" type of people is not what the city should be doing. Chinatown needs investment desperately, both public and private, and withholding those resources to avoid dealing with public disorder is a bad strategy.
It’s not about the “right” kind of people.

It’s about the purpose of parks, stewarding our resources, and prioritizing investments to maximize the most public good.

Would you say the armature was a high quality investment and was successful in its goals? Do you think most Edmontonians would be happy with that projects cost and impact?

Was stony plain road a good use of public funds?

I'm going to agree with @thommyjo here. Mary Burlie park needs regular, consistent maintenance applied, NOT a renewal, otherwise it's all money for nothing.

Give the gazebo some new paint and put some new stain the benches, pressure wash the concrete, and then get City crews out there regularly to keep the shrub beds cut short and graffiti covered up. Don't need to hire some expensive design and engineering consultants to craft it into a space that looks cool on design brochures for a Tech company campus rather than a public city park.

The city seems to have little money for maintenance but much more for capital, so shiny new things are put in to replace those that have lost their luster, but in a year or two the new ones are as run down as the old.

But if you can't keep it up, really it is just a waste of money.

It’s not about the “right” kind of people.

It’s about the purpose of parks, stewarding our resources, and prioritizing investments to maximize the most public good.

Would you say the armature was a high quality investment and was successful in its goals? Do you think most Edmontonians would be happy with that projects cost and impact?

Was stony plain road a good use of public funds?

I'm not arguing that the Armature or Stony Plain Road were the best use of limited city funds. What I am saying is that insinuating that certain people don't deserve investments from the city is wrong and I couldn't disagree more.

This is literally just an encampment zone and will be for years to come. No one wants to be here. And 2 blocks away is the brand new kinistinaw park that also no one uses and is regularly a site of violence, ODs, and crime.

Chinatown needs more investment, both public and private, and the businesses and residents there deserve to see some of their tax dollars spent in their own community.

Chinatown does need public investment. Unfortunately they will never cooperate with the City until the "right" politicians are on City Council.

In the long run keeping the meddling politicians and their cohorts with their grand, but often unrealistic plans out, might be the best thing. A number of areas in this city have been damaged or destroyed by bad planning in the past

I'm not arguing that the Armature or Stony Plain Road were the best use of limited city funds. What I am saying is that insinuating that certain people don't deserve investments from the city is wrong and I couldn't disagree more.

Chinatown needs more investment, both public and private, and the businesses and residents there deserve to see some of their tax dollars spent in their own community.
Please show me where I insinuated certain kinds of people don’t deserve a park…

Areas with severe crime, ODs, vandalism, encampments, and other nearby under-utilized parks (and brand new multi million dollar ones at that) are what shouldnt be prioritized for one off investments that won’t improve the area.

Stony plain road is a great example of soooo much money being blown with 0 improvements. It’s only become significantly worse (or course other factors at play too).

If you don’t think SPR or the armature in the quarters were good investments, you shouldn’t support this one either. Those both had better chances for “revitalizing” the areas. Instead they’re devoid of life and full of crime, needles, and garbage.

Areas with severe crime, ODs, vandalism, encampments, and other nearby under-utilized parks (and brand new multi million dollar ones at that) are what shouldnt be prioritized for one off investments that won’t improve the area.

Stony plain road is a great example of soooo much money being blown with 0 improvements. It’s only become significantly worse (or course other factors at play too).

If you don’t think SPR or the armature in the quarters were good investments, you shouldn’t support this one either. Those both had better chances for “revitalizing” the areas. Instead they’re devoid of life and full of crime, needles, and garbage.
You mean the vacant lots are worse than the pawn shops, rub & tugs, and other now departed enterprises?

The new development should be an improvement, but this 7 years of hell nonsense is killing off everything...

I quoted you twice and you just repeated it again:

You do realize that people live and work in Chinatown, right? If public disorder and vandalism dictated where infrastructure investment happened, only the richest areas of the city would ever see any money.

The fact of the matter is that city has allowed a super-concentration of social services around Chinatown and the public infrastructure is decrepit. After those two residents were murdered in a random attack, everyone made pledges about turning the area around and investing money in Chinatown.

Mary Burlie Park isn't the key to fixing social disorder, but I think arguing against investing in the area is exactly how we ended with the current situation and Chinatown deserves better.

I quoted you twice and you just repeated it again:

You do realize that people live and work in Chinatown, right? If public disorder and vandalism dictated where infrastructure investment happened, only the richest areas of the city would ever see any money.

The fact of the matter is that city has allowed a super-concentration of social services around Chinatown and the public infrastructure is decrepit. After those two residents were murdered in a random attack, everyone made pledges about turning the area around and investing money in Chinatown.

Mary Burlie Park isn't the key to fixing social disorder, but I think arguing against investing in the area is exactly how we ended with the current situation and Chinatown deserves better.
But Chinatown has gotten major investment. LRT, armature, boyle/McCauley renewal is happening. Lots of money has been spent.

So all I’m saying is that this particular park seems like wasted money to try to fix up at this point. Lots of other areas in this city, that are also host to vulnerable populations and low income residents, could use this investment too. And all I’m arguing is that the return in those investments will be much stronger. Most citizens will be served and supported by their tax dollars.

I hope this park defies the very obvious pattern of splashy capital spending that is quickly overrun with disorder. But I guess we’ll wait and see.

Louise McKinney Park

20240524_163505.jpg

^was just there. construction seems to have been concentrating on the reflecting pool and the fountain over the winter. There's nothing (save underground utilites...I hope). much happening with the north end where the splash water stuff is happening...just 5 weeks left.

Back